Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] SDRO letter - parking ticket to me NOT MY BIKE

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by flashfire, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. So I get home today to find a rather ominous letter in the mail. Open it up to find a letter from the State Debt Recovery Office demanding money. The offence: parking longer than permitted sometime in June this year. The vehicle in question was sold by me to someone else approx a year ago.

    Yes, I know I can fill out the Stat Dec indicating I am no longer the owner of the bike, however my problem is they're asking for information on the date of sale and other stuff about the person who I sold the bike to, but as I took my little slip of rego paper to the RTA the day after I sold it, which contained all the information they're now asking me to divulge, I don't have that information. Yes, I realise I should have made a copy, but it's too late now.

    In the meantime, I've lost and replaced my mobile phone so have no way of contacting the buyer.

    What should I do? Call the SDRO and wait on hold for 40mins and explain the situation, or contact the RTA and find out what the deal is from their end? I never got a renewal rego notice for the bike, so they must have the correct owner's information on file. You'd think, eh?
  2. If it was me, I'd do both. They must know the name of the registered owner, unless, of course, he/she is riding it around unregistered.

    You should also be able to track the sale transaction through your bank records.

    Once again this highlights the importance of backing up your mobile sim to your computer. We are increasingly dependent on electronic information, yet less careful with it, it seems..

    {Not a criticism of you, flash, just a general comment.}
  3. Call the RTA and explain you need to know the date of sale of the slip you handed in.
    They will have it on record.
    I've been in your situation, I got sent a red light camera photo of a car I sold.....and the car was airborne through the intersection! :shock:

    Regards, Andrew.
  4. and i got one for disposing a lit cigarette from a moving vehicle (corporate) fine = $400!!!
    my work vehicle was in for a service, and the mechanic/apprentice/someone test driving it must have decided to be a tosser :mad:
    took lots of phonecalls, and downloading and faxing forms to sort that one out. lucky i worked it out too, works has a no-smoking in company vehicles policy, and being a smoker myself :roll: not to mention being surfacing supervisor, i was looking at getting a nasty letter from the general manager.