Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Scooter licence change

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Sep 9, 2008.

1. And in news just in:

scooter licenses now easier to obtain in NSW

The NSW RTA has increased the cc capacity for automatic exemption from the Scooter License course.

Effective immediately the NSW RTA has increased the capacity from 125cc to 160cc for exemption from the pre-provisional course for automatic motorcycles and scooters. Riders of scooters less than 160cc will still need to attend and pass the pre-learner course (7 hours held over 2 days) and the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test or MOST (1 hour). However they will not be required to attend the 6 hour pre-provisional course immediately prior to the MOST.

“With the increasing popularity of automatic “twist and go†scooters, and in particular 125/150cc capacity scooters in NSW, this is a positive change exempting riders of small scooters from the pre-provisional course which is heavily biased to helping riders of manual motorcycles master clutch control and gear changes†said Paul Nobbs from the Australia Scooter Federation.

Details of the new rules can be found on the RTA’s website:-

NSW scooter sales rose 15.4% in 08 versus 07 for the 6 month period to the end of June.

Sales of 51cc to 160cc capacity scooters grew 23.1% to 2995 units in the same period.
    For further information please contact:
    Libby Ross, Secretariat
    Australian Scooter Federation
  2. WTF!

ERR what? The MOST course is 3 months after getting your Ls, its not about clutch control and gear changes at all, its about roadcraft...

3. exactly! i was bamboozled by that line as well.

the funnyest thing when i was doing my pre-l's was the pre-p's going on next to us with 5 bikes and 1 scooter.

the scooter operator did 2 laps of the course the wrong way with everyone standing awestruck at how badly this person rode/followed instructions.

this person then mouthed off at the instructor claiming he was being too harsh when he told her to go home because she wasnt going to pass the test at the end of the day.

the way i see it, it's 6 hours of having head checks drilled into my brain because thats one of the things i needed help with when i started. general motorcycle operation should be down pat by the end of the pre-l's course.

if your still unsure about clutch control at the pre-p's stage then you shouldnt be off your l's yet!
  4. Why should the pre-provisional course be exempt for anyone, let alone provide more exemptions. Yeah, road safety is really a priority :roll:

This will just lead to more clueless riders on the road.

Junglist - the scooter on my pre Ls test was the only one to stack on the day, buried the side into the ground, lifted the front wheel and just lost it. Funny thing was, the only one to fail the Ps test was a scooter who came up to the first braking test and stacked it approaching the start line!!!
  5. Aside from making the bike go and stop (ie the learners course) there isn't any significant clutch or gear changing work in the provisional course (and if you spent the previous 3 months in first gear you really aren't going to get anything out of the next course anyway). As noted above, the road ride focuses on roadcraft, but the biggest part of the on range work at the provisional is staying out of trouble. Slow maneouvre, lane changing (avoidance) and braking technique seems to be the biggest bits in it from memory. Do none of those bits apply to scooter riders? Slow maneouvre with the clutch - perhaps old mate has a little point, but the rest he hasn't got a clue.
  6. This seems to be a particularly stupid move to me. I have been riding a scooter for 12 months and 15,000 kms and touch wood have so far stayed upright. I think there should be more training courses mandatory, not less. Just because a scooter doesn't have gears or a clutch doesn't mean anyone can just jump on it and know how to ride safely. This sort of thing just reinforces ideas that riding is just about making the scooter go (easy, twist of the wrist) and to hell with roadcraft......how to corner, headchecks, staying visible.....the list is endless. I really despair sometimes for the authorities that are supposed to be in charge of road safety. :roll:
  7. If I can make a cynical joke - Those little scooters can barely reach expressway speeds. Everyone knows that only speeding kills. :?
  8. I hope all the people that pass without learning to headcheck form a club and do ride days.

The first fuel stop will be carnage.
  9. My first thought is that if this leads to an increase in accidents/fatalities, specifically within this group of riders, these stats will be lumped together with higher capacity scooter/motorcycle riders and be a right pain in the future.

This is from my (admittedly shallow) reading where it seems that statistics are being recorded without diversity (ie scooters/motorcycles tick the same box). Happy for someone to point out if I'm wrong.