Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW RTA Auctions - where? when?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by david85dc, Jul 14, 2008.

1. g'day

not sure what section to put this in.

I am interested in finding out where the NSW RTA auction off all their learner bikes and scooters.

ive looked at www.pickles.com.au & www.governmentauctions.com.au
    however they dont have the RTA stuff.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

2. are they owned by the RTA or the sub-contractor?

3. Arent all (or most) the learner/provisional course places run by approved trainers (stay upright, honda rider training, etc)not RTA?. So all those places would be selling the bikes themselves as they probably own/maintain them, not the RTA. Also the turnover of training bikes would be pretty slow, so I cant see these things being on auction very often. They might just be sold privately.
    I dont think you'll have any luck finding a bargain through such a channel (if it even exists).

4. They're all subcontractor bikes.
    Considering they do maybe 30km a weekend and they buy models that last forever, don't hold your breath waiting for them to come up at aucton!
    When I did my learner's training, teh CB250 I was on was something like a 1990 model, but looked 5 years old.

Regards, Andrew.

5. Watch out for any clutch issues.. they've spent 90% of their life with the clutch feathered

6. Yep the above is correct, they are contracted as i hired a bike and the RTA passed on some guys number to book as it had nothing to do with them.

AND i can tell ya the clutches are F*#KED. My particluar bike only had 4000klms and on the test riding up a 20degree angled hill it was slipping big time and for 3kays riding was spent in 2nd gear @ 7000rpm :LOL:

Think about it, on the test your riding the clutch alot cause you make sure you dont stall in front of the testing officer.

Pickles auctions have cheap Postie bikes, get one of them :)

7. yeh im just looking for a bigger scooter for my gf.

appreciate the help guys..

ill have a dig around.