Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Riders Ls with Full C license. How do points work. RESOLVED.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by SJPJ1982, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Thanks for everyone who contributed to my previous post. I called the police and the RTA and got the following advice so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else is curious.

R LRN = 4 Points
    C = 12 Points

You DO NOT lose points off your R LRN if you lose points while driving a car, however if you accrue 12 points and lose your C then you also lose your R LRN.

BUT points on your R LRN DO count toward your total for your C class, (and also on your R LRN any speeding offense is a automatic 3 month suspension and 4 points). So if you get done one day speeding on the bike u lose your bike license for 3 months and get 4 points on your total, if you get caught in your car 6 months later for 3 points you DONT lose your R LRN but you now have 7 points combined.

Same applys on your P1 and P2.

Confusing? Yes but it kinda makes sense. So basically as long as you dont LOSE your C license it wont affect your R LRN, but whatever you do on your R LRN affects your C.
  2. The police officer attending has complete discretion whether or not to confiscate your license, as does the RTA - for any speeding offense.
  3. pretty sure that is wrong.
  4. in sooooooooooooo many ways
  5. Yeah I have yet to hear of a car driver with a gold licence getting suspended for doing 5K over the limit. Any way, as I said above info was sourced from RTA and confirmed by local cops. If another NSW cop has different info more than happy to hear.
  6. Police can charge you with whatever speed offense they see fit - whether they prove it is another matter. If they choose to take your license, it's gone, it's taken. You won't receive it back from the RTA until you elect to have the matter heard in court and then it's up the RTA whether or not you get it back - and REGARDLESS of whether the offense is proven in court, it is STILL up to the discretion of the RTA whether you get any points and your license back.

It's called police discretion.
  7. Can a mod close this thread before it becomes a flame war. I passed on the info I was given by the authoritys in the opening post. That's all I wanted to do. Not get into a debate about what the cops and rta can and can not do.

8. spoilsport.

of course I may be wrong, but i think mr policeman can get into a bit of strife if he walks off with your license without permission.

Immediate licence suspension

Police may immediately suspend and confiscate your licence for the following offences:

* A serious driving offence causing death or grievous bodily harm.
    * Speeding in excess of 45 km/h over the speed limit.
    * Middle or high range prescribed concentration of alcohol or committing other serious alcohol-related offences.
    * A street racing offence.
    * An aggravated burnout offence.*
    * Speeding in excess of 30km/h over the speed limit whilst the holder of a learner or provisional licence.
    * Driving unaccompanied by a supervising driver whilst the holder of a learner licence.

Police can suspend and confiscate a licence either on the spot or within 48 hours of the offence being committed. This means that you may have to arrange for your vehicle to be collected by someone else.

Where a person is charged by Police with one of the offences, the suspension will remain until the offence is heard by a court. If you are convicted and disqualified by the court, the court may take into account the period you have served under suspension when imposing the disqualification period.
  9. Ok first off

1) Those are RTA restatement of statutory laws
    2) Above and original laws do not govern police operations
    3) They only set out the requirements for evidence to be produced
    4) Police can charge you with whatever they want, it's up to them to prove it.
  10. whatever mate, you're not worth the argument. Keep your tin hat on, its stopping those brain waves getting out.
  11. Are you actually trying to tell me that police don't have complete discretion? Really?