Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW rego question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hewy, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. Hi All,

    new to the forum...

    I have a silly question to kick off with... I have done a search and can't seem to find all that much information on this...

    I was just wondering for a pink slip whether most riders take their bike to regular car service places or if you have to go to bike shops/bike servicing places?

  2. any mechanic should do it for you. they even 'tick' the seat belt option for you :)
  3. Save yourself a bit of time and take it to one that does E-Safety Checks. If you do that, pay your greenslip online then pay your registration fees online as well. Saves ever going near a bloated RTA queue.
  4. Thanks guys for the quick replys!
  5. Also hewy what suburb are you in, in Sydney
  6. If the bikes been out of rego for a while, you will need a blue slip and possibly a weigh bridge ticket for rego.

    I don't think all places that do pinks are able to do blue slips as well, the RTA can supply you with a list of places that will do blue slips as well.

    Not sure on how long it needs to be out of rego to require a blue slip.

    It seems every few years they add a new colour slip we need that cost more money, pinks, blues and greens for now. What a load of revenue raising crap.
  7. I'm in hornsby...

    seems that there are lots of e-pink slip places round here.

    Cheers guys.
  8. do you even know what the different slips are for?

    pink slip is for registration renewal/transfer of ownership only and it comprises of a quick once-over mechanical check to make sure its not leaking or unsafe on the road. For a bike the costs are $15-30 depending on which bikeshop you go to. this money stays with the shop owner and covers the cost of the paperwork/inspection.

    blue slip This is for a vehicle that is newly registered in NSW or for one that has been out of registration for over 3 months. This is similar to a pink slip, however it provides basic engine and chassis number checks. Depending on where you go they do anything from a basic "yeah the numbers look good" to a full engineering check (this seems to be more relevant for the imported car market from what i've spoken to blueslip providers) and costs about $45-60 (or possibly more if additional checks have to be done).

    green slip
    This is for the third party person insurance for your car. The government thought it was a good idea (for them that is) to deregulate the whole insurance thing around 89-91 or so and the green slip was born. The goal of this was to simply offload everything insurance related to the insurance companies. Which i guess was a good and a bad thing....

    Anyway, i don't think that it's revenue raising, just covering the costs of everyone involved.