Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Reduced demerit points for minor speeding offences

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Shakows, Feb 23, 2009.

1. OMFG im just going to pinch myself...... yep Im not dreaming.
  2. dont get too excited, they would prefer those 60,000 disqualified drivers back on the road so they can get more fines and pay them.

when the government lowers the monetary penalty, then i will shit bricks
  3. There'll be a "but".

Larger fine
    Loss the points for 4 years

It'll still probably be 2 points instead of 3.
  4. thats what i think is happening too, it's better for them to have lots of people speeding+fines, then making them unable to fine them, cos they can't drive, it's sad to watch the way money is driving everything :(
  5. NSW Gov did this a couple of years ago, if my memory serves me correctly.......lowered fines that is.....not the sh*tting of bricks.... :LOL:
  6. Remembering back about 5-10 years, the demerit points went up significantly (and fines decreased) to show the public that it wasn't just some greedy revenue-raising scheme and that they were actually interested in improving road safety.

Will be interesting to see what the fines do now that the points are going back down. ;)
  7. I guess it's motivated by a desire by bureaucrats to standardise the penalties across the states, but I wonder what people really prefer... lower fines or fewer points. If it comes to that.
    So what is it? Hundred bucks per km over versus losing your licence for sneezing? Hypothetically.