Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] question about roundabouts

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Banga, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Hi all quick question about roundabouts, I'm sure somebody here would know the answer.

Anyways here is the attempt at drawing it:
    In case you don't get what i am saying here is the Google maps link of the roundabout I'm spraying about.

Anyways I just wanted to know, say that sexy yellow vehicle was turning right from the right lane and the left lane was clear could the blue bike/vehicle go straight ahead in the other lane legally or does it have to wait for the yellow beast to go clear first?

And i am assuming it would not change anything if there was a vehicle in the left lane turning left right?

Thanks for your help guys :grin:

2. yes, the blue car may proceed.
  3. only thing being, if it's a large truck/oversized vehicle, and it's a tight roundabout, may be wise to wait, as they're allowed to use more than one lane when turning corners i'm pretty sure.
  4. People are SUPPOSED to stay in the lane in which they ENTERED the roundabout until they have fully exited it. That's not to say they do :roll:.

In a car you might have bluffing rights; on the bike, if in doubt, don't. I had an old goat in a Pulsar nearly clean me up in this exact situation only a kay from my home last week.
  5. In a car I would let the yellow car go around as he might want to change lanes immediately after the round about.

On a bike (depending on my mood) would check the driver saw me, then ride out knowing I can easily get in front of him.
  6. Congratulations on being on of the few people who bother to learn how to use round-a-bouts!

This places you in the top 0.00000001% of most drivers in NSW, a definite cut above all those other f***wits.

Unfortunately there are no prizes at this stage, except the ability to avoid accidents. You won't even avoid any guilt, as the sad truth is that all those other clueless negli-muppets could kill up to half a dozen children on a round-a-bout and have not the slightest inkling that they did anything wrong: instead wondering "How could such a strange and tragic accident occur???"
  7. Heh. I would wait until the car is past the point of no return, e.g no longer has the option to go straight through the roundabout.
  8. close your eyes and twist the throttle. Works most of the time
  9. Thats probably one of the better options, because if you get through before the yellow car, it makes no difference if they change lanes, go straight ahead, or perform some other bizarre manouver.

Pick the gap, and be gone, before the dozy dodgem driver wakes up. :) :)

One of the many reasons big bikes are safer in traffic.
  10. Cheers all,

Well the reason i asked in the first place was because i was nearly knocked over doing this and then told that i was in the wrong, basically the driver entered in the right lane then merged into the left with no indication. My fault for taking the risk i guess, but the guy knew i was there and decided to argue that it was my fault not knowing for sure i just left it and thought i would find out 4sure. So i guess the same situation as you Paul, i guess its better not to risk it.

Basically i think on a bike it may just be safest to wait till his past the point of return as Mitch says.
  11. So he changes lanes whilst in a roundabout, no indication, crossing a solid line (must have to get in the left lane) and says you're in the wrong? What a knob. That's why roundabouts are so dangerous, some people have no idea how to use them.

Or did he cross into your lane via the gap which is for vehicles coming from the left who want to turn right?
  12. Good on you for asking the question. If one never asks, one never learns.
    A word of advice however, NEVER expect anyone to do the RIGHT thing.
    If you are on your bike, you are especially vulnerable, and it's of no consolation being in the 'right' whilst your lying in a hospital bed .. or worse.

If you are unsure, yet decide to go through... have an ESCAPE route in case the terd does in fact decide you are fair game.
  13. I was under the impression you must give way to all vehicles already on a roundybouty. All i know is, I just make sure i am in a position of safety when i enter one.I find that Normally being inside 3 tonnes of 4wd makes it a lot safer than on 200kg of bike, people will pull out on the bike, never the 4x4 wih its steel bullbar.
  14. [​IMG]

Hi Drew,

AS the red arrows suggest in the picture, so he basically started turning right and then without indication (for changing lanes) he merged/changed into the left lane which i was in attempting to go straight; if this makes sense lol.

That's what i gotta learn, on the bike it me who will come off 2nd best so no point being right.
  15. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/roundabouts.html

Going right
    - Slow down and prepare to give way as you approach the roundabout.
    - On approach you must be in the right lane unless otherwise marked on the road, and indicate a right turn.
    - You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of a collision.
    - Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
    - Stay in the right lane.
    - You must indicate a left turn just before your exit unless it is not practical to do so.

"You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of a collision" would not be in effect in this case, as the driver is in the the right lane and must stay in the right lane, therefore there is no risk to the OP (unless he breaks the law and changes lane).

You were certainly in the right, but as you say no point being right if you're under a vehicle.
  16. Happens all the time where I am (Vic). Don't risk it :(
  17. These are the only road rules for ANY traffic situation, assume all other road users have not seen you until you can see them look at you from their mirrors.
  18. Actually you are allowed to change lanes, provided the lane you wish to change to is clear, and you signal intention. However, I'm pretty sure this is more aimed towards larger roundabouts (with circumference of maybe 1km).
    Either way, it's legal in NSW to change lanes on any roundabout.
  19. Awesome, love a good round-about story... I have brilliant luck with those things.

Fellow New South Walliens, check this sucker out... :grin:

At first glance in peak time it was look pretty scary with cars doing all sorts of random lane changing shit, but once you know it, it can actually be quite fun... just mind the trams though, they make a virtual game of frogga.
  20. This is a constant issue at the infamous Elizabeth st//Royal Parade/Flemington Road roundabout in Melbourne. Outbound vehicles regularly enter without regard to those who are trying to exit from the RH lane.

It seems to me that the whole question of right and wrong hinges on whether the yellow car (in the RIGHT lane on the roundabout) is entitled to exit into the LEFT lane of the exit road. I don't think there is any doubt that he is entitled to change lanes, so long as he signals, and that you pretty much need to give way to any vehicle that is already in the roundabout.

So who knows where to find this out?

I would be surprised if there is any major difference between state road rules on this, but I CBF'd checking them all out.