Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(NSW) Putty Road - lots of wildlife !

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' at netrider.net.au started by Stroker, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Just took a run up the old Putty this morning.

Bugger all traffic ( I think I passed three utes ), greasy surface, nothing unusual about that.

Something I couldn't help but notice - lots of animals ! Cattle by the road ( even in the road ), lots of roos, some ducks with ducklings in tow. All of these cute little guys were on the road verges - often within 2-3 metres of me.

Oh yeah, and the usual, big black birds that take off one direction then turn 180 degrees straight into you.

At one stage, I came around a 70 degree, blind, uphill left-hander to find a bloody big black bull just a couple of metres past the apex. Cool, I love bovines, but I don't want to hit one at 90 kph.

Lots of fun. I love animals.

2. There used to be signs at both ends of the Putty warning of many kilometres of unfenced roads, and the hazards of wandering stock. In many years of travelling the road I've seen it all, including one memorable (??) night in the car when we encountered about 40 roaming Afghan hounds that had escaped from a local (illegal) stud.

Lyre birds that dash out in front of you in the Ten Mile are also great for the heart-rate :LOL:.