Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Provisional License extended to a minimum of 3 years

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by bunjumung, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Graduated Licensing Scheme for Motorcycle Riders
    11 March 2009
    Premier Nathan Rees today announced the introduction of a new licensing scheme for motorcycle riders to help reduce the number of beginner riders involved in crashes.
    Mr Rees said that young and inexperienced riders are significantly over-represented in crashes.
    “Motorcyclists aged under 20 are almost five times more likely to crash than other motorbike riders,†Mr Rees said.
    “Last year, around 350 beginner riders were involved in crashes across the State.
    “That’s why we are introducing this scheme which will be similar to a motor vehicle licence extending the minimum provisional period for motorcycle riders from one to three years.â€
    Mr Rees said that the changes will be introduced in June and mean that riders will stay on a provisional licence for a minimum of three years with the same P1 and P2 phases as car drivers.
    “Provisional rider restrictions will now be in place for a longer period giving riders time to gain confidence and experience on the road.
    “The restrictions for P1 drivers are a zero blood alcohol limit, a maximum speed restriction of 90km/h and a loss of licence for incurring four or more demerit points.
    “For P2 drivers it also means a zero blood alcohol limit, a maximum 100km/h speed limit and a licence suspension for their second speeding offence.
    “This is about saving lives and reducing the number of people injured on our roads by ensuring riders gain more experience.â€
    Roads Minister Michael Daley said that currently riders must hold a learner licence for a minimum of three months before attending a pre-provisional course.
    “They must then be on a P1 provisional licence for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a full licence,†Mr Daley said.
    “The minimum three year period on a provisional licence will raise the age for getting an unrestricted rider licence from 18 to 20.
    “The provisional P1 phase will be a requirement of all riders, regardless of age but there will be an exemption from the P2 phase for riders over 25 who also hold an unrestricted car driver licence.
    “This exemption recognises car driving experience and brings NSW in line with other States.â€
    For information on current licence requirements visit www.rta.nsw.gov.au

2. oh now that is pretty harsh
    i can understand the positioning, but there are going to be alot of angry young riders

3. It sure is pretty harsh, I just hope I can get a booking before June!!!

4. This is stupid. Aside from that, why the hell are P plate drivers limited to 90klm? If, as we have been told, most crashes happen between 30-60 klm per hour, why? Makes no sense. :?

5. Hard to argue when it's matching it to the driver situation, but glad it's not me!

I agree that lower speed limits for Ps is a BAD idea - how confidence inspiring is it for a young rider to have to merge in and out of the left lanes of a freeway as their lane turns into off ramps or ends after entrances, with them doing 90kmh and dodging the trucks bearing down on them at 110 (ish) and all the traffic entering from their left moving faster than them? Isn't it a well established notion that speed differential is a major problem and factor in causing collisions? Where are the stats that young people are having accidents at freeway speeds in straight lines and not doing say 50-80 or less through the hills and making mistakes on corners?

6. Mikey has the shits.

Apart from the fact that I won't have my P's by the 1st of june (guy at RTA has a hunch that even if you begin your licence before the !st june, it will only let you continue under the old scheme if you're on P's at the time.) I've got a few friends who have ridden, and basically said that the bikes you ride as a learner get you confident with riding them in general, but not confident in trafic, because you cant zip away etc..........

I reccon it's a popularity bill to be honest, if they really wanted to keep people alive, i'd say get the younger guys more training and time with an instructor in a safe environment etc, and as for people who are 20+ with a full car licence....... you don't really need to master the art of traffic from scratch, just how to generally ride a bike, and other things that differ to cars, so 3 years is just a nightmare for them.

7. you guys don't know when you're well off

when I did my car license in 1968 the P plate limit (for a year only, I must admit) was 40 miles per hour (80 kph is nearly 50)

8. Chances are, once these new laws come into effect, the boys in blue will be catching a lot more p platers on bigger bikes...

9. Give us Bigger Capacity restrictions...

10. fcuk Im glad I got my car/bike license before all these ridiculously long P plate licenses came in.
    Its logical in the sense that it makes the laws the same as car licenses, but illogical thinking that keeping a Rider on Ps is going to have a noticeable positive effect on the statistics.

This also means the value of LAMS bike still stay higher since P platers will be riding them for 3 years.

11. This is a typical publicity stunt by the government to 'fix' a problem that doesn't exist.
    Under 20's being represented highly will always be the case, they are the most likely group to make bad decisions and lack road skills.
    Thats why we have such a involved L and P's process, with government subsidy to pay for training.

They are money grubbing deceitful little political pricks who really couldn't give a damn about young riders (proven by this stance) in fact I can't remember the last time I heard these statistics, and would like to see them properly in relation to other figures, since when I did my L's I was told that L plater motorcycle riders in NSW where one of the least at risk groups due to the training required to gain your L's. (whether this is shown by statistics or not, thats what I was told at the HART course).

Also as ANYONE who has ridden knows it is extremely dangerous riding under the limit on roads, and this stance by the government is both dangerous and totally counter intuitive.
    Motorcyclists are generally the smallest vehicle on the road and already have to deal with stupid drivers who don't bother looking, add in a restricted speed and your just looking for trouble.

When this goes through and suddenly the amount of P plate accidents a year skyrockets as more people are subjected to accidents where idiots, much like our politicians see a P or L plate and have a lead foot reaction (because L and P platers are such a threat on the road right Gov'na) then maybe we should have a public lynching of the politicians who like to throw away lives so needlessly.

Also anyone notice how you will be losing 1 point soon for minor speeding offences? Uhhh if minor speeding offences are such a 'small' problem why are younger drivers penalised for driving AT the speed limit on major roads.
    The excuse that this will reduce the amount of injuries on the road is false, and has been PROVEN in europe training reduces accident rates, training, not reducing speed. The fact our politicians are too stupid to realise this just is astounding, I mean this isnt like driving a garbo truck afterall.

Also if these politicians think that this is necesarry lets see them redo their learning licence, and P's periods and actually undergo the learning that alot of older drivers totally lack but make up for with experience.
    Lets see some statistics of older drivers having to redo driving tests they fail because they are totally ignorant of the current road rules.

I'm on my fulls now but I feel this kind of knee jerk reaction is something that needs to be stamped down on, we are becoming a society run by hypocrits who are happy to tell everyone else they are doing everything wrong, while suggesting measures (not solutions) to try and change the perceived problem.
    If this system is put in place and we see a rise in crashes involving P platers (esp. not at fault) then I think we should also see some political heads rolling (literally wouldn't be bad)

Also as a final note, this says beginner riders involved in crashes, what % of these crashes where at fault please?
    We all know that having a good awareness of the road is key to riding a motorcycle, but now are young people being punished for the general stupidity of most car drivers as well?

12. Thats what i reckon too. Thats torture for a young person enthusiastic about bikes and limited in power and size for 3 years instead of 1. They're gonna be tempted to buy a non-lams bike and risk it.

Honestly im no Rossi or Stoner, but in a years riding experience i felt soo comfortable on the road and you learn soo much in that time you dont get any better with years to come.. How better could you get sticking to the speeds and road signs. On a track is different, i'd be pissed with the 3 years scheme, i dont think your gonna be any better than after 1 year.

13. When i got my bike licence in adelaide many years ago i was 16 years old,went for it on a 450 honda twin 6 months in trashed into a car(not my fault) no speed restrictions .When i was 17 i bought a 750 suzuki waterbottle no crashes. When i was 18 i purchesed a suzuki gs1000E.which after 1 year trashed it into a car(yep my fault).Personally i feel for guys getting there licence now.I think 1 years on lams is enough then 2nd year 600 limit then on your third year 600-1400cc.So on my history 1st year crash,2nd year no crash.3rd year crash,work that out you law makers.Touch wood no crashes last 30 years but a lot of close calls. :grin:

14. When i got my bike licence in adelaide many years ago i was 16 years old,went for it on a 450 honda twin 6 months in trashed into a car(not my fault) no speed restrictions .When i was 17 i bought a 750 suzuki waterbottle no crashes. When i was 18 i purchesed a suzuki gs1000E.which after 1 year trashed it into a car(yep my fault).Personally i feel for guys getting there licence now.I think 1 years on lams is enough then 2nd year 600 limit then on your third year 600-1400cc.So on my history 1st year crash,2nd year no crash.3rd year crash,work that out you law makers.Touch wood no crashes last 30 years but a lot of close calls. :grin:

15. I don't get the point in these capacity restrictions. A slow bike is NOT intrinsically safe. I can still slam headfirst into a wall at 160km/h, regardless of whether i've got an average 250cc or a hayabusa. Even a 50cc scooter will kill someone when they drive into the back of a truck.

NSW has really gone over the top with this whole 'speed kills' thing. The solutions are driver training, improved quality roads and better safety gear.

Its just a pity that enforcing a non-solution is also the cheapest solution.

16. It's not just the cheapest, but likely to make them the most money due to P-platers flaunting the new restrictions.

17. It's not just the cheapest, but likely to make them the most money due to P-platers flaunting the new restrictions.

18. i hope P2 holders dont have any restrictions on bike sizes.

kinda makes me want to just get my P's and then forget about riding for 3 years, Ive had my 250 for 4 months and already it just doesn't cut it. might just buy a hyodung gt650 and de-restrict it on the sly. bastards!

19. Don't count on it, they're going to 'bring motorcycle laws in line with car laws', chances are you're gonna get smacked in the face with a lam bike for your next 2 years.

I'm kinda pissed tbh, I couldn't sleep at all last week in anticipation of my rider training course, walked out of the RTA with a giant grin on my face when I had my license, and spend the rest of the morning/arvo running around sydney bike shops. The worst part is that even if I did manage to find an empty slot by some miracle, I wouldn't be able to take the p's test before june seeing as I have to wait 3 months.

Does he honestly think that another 2 years of p's will make a significant fcuking difference to any of those stats? Doesn't matter what class license they hold, inexperienced riders/drivers are more prone to accidents. Bringing in stupid laws like this will achieve NOTHING except further skew the distribution of accidents towards the lower end of the license scale, continuing the cycle of this kind of money grabbing legislation, its so stupid.

Also how the hell do people get more experience by wearing p plates on their bike? For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of this legislation.