Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Police Media Release

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by grange, May 13, 2012.

1. Latest Media Releases

Series of incidents involving motorcyclists cause police to issue safety warning

Saturday, 12 May 2012 03:36:19 PM

Police are urging motorcyclists to slow down and take care on the roads in the lead up to Mother’s Day following a number of serious incidents.

Police are continuing their investigations into the collision however believe the man was overtaking at the time of the incident.

He was taken by ambulance to St Vincent’s Hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

About 11:50am yesterday, highway patrol officers attached to the Traffic Support Group were performing speed enforcement duties as part of Operation Freeflow on the M5 near River Road, Revesby when they allegedly detected a Suzuki GSXR-1000 motorcycle travelling west at 173km/h in the 110km/h zone.

The rider, a 23-year-old man from Campsie, was stopped on Henry Lawson Drive and issued a traffic infringement notice for exceed speed limit by more than 45km/h. He also had his licence suspended on the spot.

In another incident, about 12:30am yesterday Liverpool Police were patrolling Wonga Road when they saw a man riding an unregistered trail bike in excess of the 50km/h speed limit.

Police pursued the motorcycle along Wonga and Kurrajong Road before the rider jumped off the bike and fled.

He was chased on foot to a nearby house where he was arrested while attempting to climb a fence.

The 26-year-old man was taken to Liverpool Police Station and charged with police pursuit – not stop –drive dangerously (Skye’s Law), drive vehicle recklessly, being an unlicensed rider and using an unregistered motor vehicle.

He was granted conditional bail to appear in Campbelltown Local Court on Thursday 21 June 2012.

Superintendent Stuart Smith, Operations Commander, Traffic and Highway Patrol Command appealed for motorcycle riders to take more care on the roads.

“Motorcycle riders will no doubt take to the roads this weekend due to the unseasonably good weather but they need to remember to take ‘safety’ along for the ride.

“With Mother’s Day tomorrow there will be increased volumes of traffic on the roads and all motorists are reminded to keep to the speed limit and drive to the conditions.

“Provisional police data indicates that motorcycle riders currently account for 19% of 2012 road deaths and yet only 9.5% of all licences held in NSW are for motorbikes,” said Superintendent Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I know the guy who was on the Ducati. He's in a bad way, broken vertebrae, ribs, bleeding on brain and hole in heart from one of the broken ribs. Thoughts are with family and friends, hopefully he recovers well.
  3. Indeed.
    Unreg bike, non rider. (trail bike)

Ps poor Duke!
  4. No ****ing shit Superintendent Smith. An accident you can walk away from in car may actually kill you on a motorcycle. I've been studying this phenomenon for years, I think it has something do with the inherent design differences between motorcycles and cars.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. A sad but true fact of riding and riders, we can go fast but its the sudden stop that does us in. Well wishes to the Duke rider
  6. Well, which one is it; do you want me to keep to the limit or ride to the conditions? Either way, I choose riding to the conditions. While that might mean I'm below the posted limit, it also means that I might be above the limit. Now stop taking my money and points for doing what you told me to do and focus on the real idiots on the road. You know, the breakfast eating, makeup applying, paper reading, radio adjusting, mobile phone bleeting sheep that are the real fucking danger.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seriously? We are still making distinctions about people depending on whether they pay some tax once a year?
    And means And not Or.
    Riding to the conditions while below the speed limit is within the set of riding to the conditions.
  8. Not according to 'The pace'
    Riding artificially slowly causes problems in much the same way as riding too fast can
  9. Pray tell, how slow is to slow?
  10. Shit, no wonder my bit masks aren't working!
  11. So 4 bike related events is enough to cause the cops to put out a warning? Wonder how many cage drivers got caught doing stupid crap in the same timeframe?

Hawks, I hope your mate recovers well.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Why the need to remove parts of the original thread Goz, it's an official police report, the same ones that you use for your dead riders thread....
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Amazing.
    So should we all ride @ under 40kmp/h
    Everyone who understands that you might get hurt riding a motorbike put your hands up.......................................
    When you here of a guy who keeps poisonous snakes getting bitten by one of his own.
    What do you do ???
    I know I get a little grin happening
    I ride bikes. I am an adult and fully aware of the consequences. Maybe we need to sign a little agreement when we get our license stating we are idiots and fully understand what we are doing.
    And they can stop all this media crap and just spend the money on making roads ie "safety barriers" a little more rider friendly.
    It's not a big ask, and they will kill you where they can save a car that is made to take a greater impact
  14. shut up before you give them more bad ideas!
  15. That depends on the conditions.
  16. ..... and is to slow, faster than too slow I wonder......8-[ ....... :p

17. if you knew my thread was there then that's where you should of posted it
  18. It had nothing to do with your thread, It was just a police media release.

Why not answer the question that was asked of you....
    • Like Like x 1
  19. What was the point of posting the media release? You included nil commentary.
  20. He doesn't have to answer to you he already gave you a reply, if you don't like it then complain to the admin and stop whinging on the groups.