Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] police chase leaves 4 dead incl infant

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by evelknievel75, Mar 21, 2010.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/21/2851669.htm

New South Wales police began the pursuit in Queanbeyan, south-east of Canberra, around 10:00pm (AEDT).
    The pursuit continued into Canberra's south-eastern suburbs before the car being chased collided with another vehicle at an intersection at Narrabundah.
    An infant, a man and a woman in the second car died at the scene.

WTF???? surely the police were not following guidelines in not calling this off. the first driver would had to have been travelling at such a high speed to have caused this....why not cease the chase? condolences to the family
  2. the only time Queanbeyan cops call off a chase is when the vehicle they are driving is outclassed eg the are driving a rodeo paddy wagon for example

Queanbeyan to where the crash happened is about 4 kms
  3. News reports say that the chase was called off, before the crash.
  4. Agreed, just grab the rego and follow it up later. The suburbs of Canberra are no place for a high speed pursuit.
  5. speculation and accusations won't bring them back .....
  6. thanks hornet. =D>

nowhere does it say in my report called off. you're comments don't help either champ, i'm talking about police procedure.
  7. point of this thread is?

pretty simple, really. DON'T ****ing run from the cops cus YOU will end up doing something stupid like killing another innocent person!

RIP to the innocent victims.
  8. No, the point is whether chasing a car is worth the risk to the remainder of the population.

The police saying that they chase was called off is very convenient and exactly what I'd expect them to say. They have a difficult job to do and making the call is a hard one, but we have to make a decision as a society whether we want to wear the potential outcomes of chasing a driver who is clearly intending to evade capture or apprehension.

How many police in NSW/ACT/VIC etc are trained in high speed pursuits (in cars designed for the job) and how many are just normal GD officers in patrol cars (not wagons). I only ask as I assume that HWP officers are subject to far more stringent training and testing. Testosterone is a big input into how people react when under pressure and judgement is often the first thing to go. Police do make mistakes but all we can ask for is a set of clear guidelines and rules that outline what is and what isn't acceptable.

9. Almost every time this happens they report this. We can have no idea whether its true or not because there trying to cover there arses.
  10. A place I worked at in Queanbeyan was subject to a ram raid at 3am midweek morning - being the point of contact I was called out to the incident.

The officer I spoke to was telling me they went after the raiders but as they were in the paddy wagon they had to give up the chase as they were outclassed mechanically by a I believe a V8 commodore.

He went on to say that had they been in a patrol car with the mechanical capabilities they would have kept after them till they caught them.
  11. I simply said what was reported here. i didn't comment on whether I thought it was true or not.
  12. understood from post 1
  13. Wrong. There are a number of way they can prove whether it was called off or not. Most police cars are monitored by GPS. They can link the time the call was made to call it off to the location of the vehicle and then can match that to the location of the vehicle that crashed. It would all come out in the investigation. Just assuming that they are covering their arse doesn't mean it is so. And before anyone says that they allways protect the pursuing officer, then I remind you off the SA cop who was charged and convicted after chasing that rider who died. There was a long thread about that on here.

Cejay has a point though with regards to the risk to the rest of the population and this incident highlights that. He raises issues with regards to training, testosterone and judgement, these are all major factors that need to be considered.

14. Interesting - I believe I recall in another thread some one saying that for a civilian that info from gps recorders is not admissible in court as evidence in the use for defence as they are still deemed to be inaccurate or something along those lines.

I may be wrong though so happy for that to be cleared up for me
  15. That point was with regards to non calibrated personal GPS', then the owner downloading the information to tender at court as evidence of speed. The accuracy couldn't be established and there would no be way to verify whether the information had been tampered with prior to being printed. In this case it is purely to show whether the police vehicle stopped moving as reported and it's rough location relative to the crash. There are other factors involved. As you would be aware at the Coroner's Court has different rules of evidence to other courts.
  16. fair comment.

though, if someone was in your house or stealing your stuff, i'm pretty sure you would chase the **** down...and really, how many of us are trained for a confrontation like that?

really hope this in NOT another cop beat-up thread. this incident, from the looks of it, is solely ON the perp!
  17. Ok -- cheers for the clarification
  18. It was a stolen car. Grabbing the rego won't help. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What if it was a child abduction and the victim was in the boot, still alive, only to be found deceased a few days later? Or the driver knew the whereabouts of the kid, or there were clues in the car? If the cops din't chase, there would be criticism...

All we need is for the police to be empowered to stop the car by any means, as soon as possible. Not much point chasing until they have a collision. ](*,)
  19. So it was a stolen car. The chances it had a child in the boot is unlikely. Chasing a car purely because it's stolen is also not that good, as, if it is crashed there is nothing to hand back. As I said, it's a tough choice and I am glad I don't have to make it, but too often we seem to have these cases reported and I wonder whether our values are perhaps wrong. It is just a car.