Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW: Parking Nose in within Motorcycle Parking

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Vertical C, May 12, 2010.

1. Gday all

Just wondering, I am aware that you have to park rear to kerb if it is parallel parking between cars. However if it is actually designated motorcycle parking is this required?

I see a lot of bikes parked nose in and was wondering if it was legal. It is a little bit sill most of the time as it takes up more room but it could be good for a park that I use at work where there is only two spots so leaning away from each other will make space.

Does anyone know if you have to park rear to kerb in motorcycle parking?

2. Mate with all the scooters standing straight up & bikes leaning on an angle there is a hell of alot of wasted space in motorcycle parking areas now. I dont think it would matter if you parked forward or back.

Just harder to get out at the end of the day.
  3. Yeah that was my first thought - nose in means pushing it back up out of the gutter to get out. Not sure on the actual legality... can't find anything with a quick search of the RTA website.
  4. Cool, I couldn't find anything either. I ride my 125 to work and so pushing it backwards is not an issue. As the spaces are only big enough for two bikes then parking one in forwards mean that they are leaning away from each other rather than on top of each other.

If it isn't illegal I might do that then if it is better on the day.
  5. Hmm, well for parallel parking areas, the rule is worded somewhat like this:

Bikes can face any damn direction they like in parallel parking areas, provided one or both wheels are as close as practicable to the kerb as possible.
    ((10) Subrules (3) and (4) <which refer to the vehicle having to be parallel to the road> do not apply to the rider of a motor bike if the rider positions the motor bike so at least 1 wheel is as near as practicable to the far left or far right side of the road.)

Likewise, for angle parking, the angle parking requirements do not apply to a motorcycle. Provided you're between the lines, the angle and direction don't matter at all.
    ((5) <the angle parking rule> does not apply to the rider of a motor bike.)

So sayeth Division 8 and Division 9.

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/ARR_February_2009_final.pdf <-- some light reading.

I'm not familiar with any requirement to park nose-in or tail-in to motorcycle parking areas. A quick scan turns up no specific mention of motorcycle perpendicular parking bays.

Given the disinterest the parallel and angle parking laws show in the actual direction a bike faces, I figure provided you're not obstructing traffic and not parked over the white lines, go nuts. The law will have deliberately been left vague due to the unique uphill/downhill/slope parking needs of motorcycles.
  6. it would say "rear to kerb only" on the sign saying motorbike parking only if they wanted you to do it i guess. so i'd say just do whichever you think is appropriate