Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Parking infringement notice

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ham, Feb 24, 2010.

1. I found a parking infringement notice on my bike when I finished work yesterday. I was parked in the lane between Australia Square and Hunter Street, and for those who don't know it; it fills up very quickly of a morning. I was parked next to the pole with the signs indicating all day motorcycle parking one way and a no stopping zone the other way.

My rear wheel was in line with the pole and some of the bike was in the parking zone. With the kickstand facing the no stopping zone, the bike leaned in that direction and the front wheel overlapped the no stopping zone.

Sydney city council want 199 of my dollars and I don't want to give it to them. Do you guys know if the pole is considered part of the parking area, part of the no stopping zone or just a grey area? The infringement notice says I can pay or go to court, so I suppose a letter wouldn't do any good?
    What kind of court costs would I be up for if I took it further?

I'm sure they wouldn't have booked a car if they were three inches into a no stopping zone, so I want to fight this. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. the parking nazis would have taken photos of this when writing the ticket......not sure about the pole but write a letter to them within the 21 days to challenge it.

i came back to my bike one day to see the owner of deus pulling a ticket off his bike. he was parked further out than you but still got a ticket :LOL:
  3. the angle of foto they took will look as if the bike was in the no stopping, anyway i think the whole of a vehicle needs to be within the range, if its sticking into a no stopping area its all no stopping and you get a ticket
  4. Thanks for the suggestions. I took my own photos but am still undecided on what to do.
  5. Knowing the area you are talking about, and having spoken to many parking rangers (after delivering in the CBD for nearly 3yrs), the interpretation they have given is that if part of the vehicle is over the "line", then it is over as such.
  6. Just to let you guys know, I have sent a 'Request to Review Penalty Notice' form to the State Debt Recovery Office. Isn't it interesting that this wasn't listed as an option on my infringment notice?