Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW or QLD licence?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ac17, May 23, 2008.

1. Hi - I live in Sydney, but am thinking of moving to Brisbane in about 6 weeks (my current job is temporary, my GF lives in Brisbane, and I currently live at with my parents, and my mum would die if I bought a bike - or kick me out, anyway)

I just did my rider training course and I can now go to the RTA and get my L license.

If I move to Bris, I guess (where I'll get a bike) I'll just have to ride back to NSW to do the P test.

But I was wondering - are there any advantages to being QLD licensed?

Because - My other option is to wait to get to bris and go for my L plates up there (but I did my training in NSW, and I don't know if it will allow me to do it up there).

Any thoughts? Any Advantages to being QLD licenced? (also I heard they are changing the laws in QLD soon - is that something I should think about)? If I go for the NSW option - I will prob change my address to QLD (because I don't want any bike-related RTA stuff getting sent to my parents and freaking out my mum) - will changing my address to QLD mean that I have to obey their L and P rules for testing and re-sit, or what?

-Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be welcomed.

2. They are doing a review of motorcycle related laws in QLD atm. So there is nothing definite at this stage. There is a survey on the QLD transport website asking for peoples comments. Worthwhile filling out. They only want QLD residents completing it, they ask for your postcode. which is 4000 in Brisbane :wink: