Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(NSW) NSW motorists beating fixed speed cameras

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by waedwe, Aug 26, 2010.

1. This is the real reason the government have rolled out hidden speed cameras, they are losing money because people slowed down like they alledgedly want us too at camera blackspot locations

2. Well of course it is. You didnt think it was to actually make roads safer did you?

As for the camera's at kogarah, I'm at a loss to explain how anyone can get fined there. Don't think I've ever got about 10 km/h on that stretch.
  3. fixed speed camera's are "less effective the longer they've been up, so we'll have more of these and plenty more of the mobile speed camera's in the future".

That's a disgusting attitude. I thought they were supposed to judge effectiveness by fatal accidents at camera sites, not fines handed out.
  4. Yep how many times does a road minister or some figure state, We would be ecstactic if the cameras never issued a fine and drivers slowed down.
    So when that happens motorists actually slowing down for the dangerous areas the cameras were put into to reduce deaths, they just get more sneaky in there never ending search for money. a big congratulations for motorists slowing down is more cameras but now hidden
  5. Yea I saw this on the news yesterday. They've got a massive deficit in the budget because income from fixed speed cameras is way below projected estimates. It's become so blatant now, they don't even attempt to make it look like this is supposed to be about road safety and preventing accidents and not about making money =/
  6. [-(

That article's a bit of a mess, really.

Assuming the purpose of the camera (as per RTA website) is to slow people down in places identified as speed-related accident blackspots, then when a motorist slows down at a speed-related accident blackspot, the motorist hasn't really "outsmarted" the camera at all.

In fact I'd say the camera's totally pwn3d them, pwn3d them good. Pussy-whipped! :p

Introducing the mobile-speed-camera thing to take up the shortfall is a bit sad, though.

Bring on the UK style of speed camera operation, where the state foots the bill for the implementation and the Federal Gov't gets the cash prizes. :p
  7. Frack me, a government increasing camera use to get more fines to *cough* improve safety *cought*. Where's my sarcasm emoticon.

8. Where does most of the state governments income come from?

As for budget issues, a measly 30 mill is hardly the critical component of the NSW gov budget problems.
  9. Theres 2 speed cameras - one east and one westbound on the pacific highway at sandgate, nsw.
    Its an 80kph zone... and the whole reason the cameras were installed was an industrial estate and nursing home and recycling plant are all in the area - it was, in theory, to make sure people do the speed limit so the traffic can get out of those areas (everyone sped through there).
    In the last couple years, the intersections for the involved things have been upgraded, traffic lights, etc to make it easier for the cars/trucks/whatever to get out onto the highway, but the cameras remain :p.

A lot of accidents still happen in the area, but most conveniently outside sandgate cemetary and the service station just past it (people not looking when they pull out of the servo), well before the cameras.
  10. This is the first article I've seen about the decline in camera fines to question whether the reduction in fines = job done. The other two I read were touting the reduction as a huge success as people are slowing down.

Yes everyone slows down for a fixed speed camera, actually most people go about 10-15kmh under the limit just to make sure, then they accelerate back up whatever speed they like. What would be interesting is to measure speeds before and after the camera. Of course such data could disprove the effectiveness of the cameras and a logical next step would be removing them.. so I doubt that data would ever be released.

Fixed speed cameras are extremely useful for making people travel under the limit for about 50 metres. Thats about it though. No matter how careful a person is, you only have to have a 2 second brain fart to cop a fine.

And useful for causing traffic problems as people modulate their speed down then back up again, causing a nice backwards ripple.
  11. I actually like NSW's (claimed) approach to tackling speed.

* Identify accident blackspot where "excessive speed" is identified as a factor in a hojillion accidents.

* Install highly conspicuous camera with a minimum of 3 highly conspicuous signs warning about the camera.

* People slow down for the camera, eliminating excessive speed at the point where speed, accidents, blah blah... They then resume speeding on the parts of the road where speed has not been identified as a factor in accidents (who cares; speed isn't a factor there, right?).

* ???

I much prefer active, localised and conspicuous enforcement to having ninjas in trees and concealed cameras every 10 metres, and being told that every time I do 113kph on an empty, flat, wide, 110kph freeway in perfect weather conditions with a servicable vehicle, I'm a 'hoon' who is going to kill 17,000 people in a spectacular crash.

In Victoria's approach of concealing cameras rather than conspicuously labelling them, a driver could go past a preschool at speed 20 times before they even know how many kittens they've killed. Hell, Ken Lay didn't even remember driving through the town where he nearly "drifted off into a tree".

NSW's (claimed) approach makes a billion times more sense if they're honestly trying to make a difference and eliminate speed as a factor in speed-related blackspots.
  12. To put things in perspective, it is a very similar deficit that lead to the MAA signing off on the CTP increases. I think the figure was $18.4m.?
  13. For the life of me I can't understand how a reduction in camera fines can leave a black hole!
    You would think such revenue would be classed as additional money towards REAL road safety improvements, truama, etc and not allocated in budgets...
    Well the honest and logical thing you'd do with fines......
    Makes you laugh when the authority comes out and categorically state it's all about safety.

Oh by the way NSW, nice of you to join the Victorian Safety Stragedy we've had for years!
    We're almost getting quite good at spotting those plain mobile cameras...
    Wait until they start hiding the cameras in wheelie bins like they apparently have started doing down here!
  14. Think I'll bugger off to Italy at that point.

phizog: the fixed speed cameras placed at black spots have also demonstrated a significant reduction in fatal accidents at those particular black spots. As per spots post, I'm not gonna diss them.
  15. Wasn't aware of those stats but would be interested in reading them if you could link it up? :) Ta
  16. Urban myth - we don't have any...

the wheelie bin camera photographs that circulate are actually German.

SA bought one to trial it but never used it.

A problem that has been found is that unless it's garbage collection day, then wheelie bins are really obvious all on their own.

If it is garbage collection day then it's entirely possible that you'll lose a $135,000 camera setup (and no, that's what SA spent on their single test camera ) if you get your timing wrong and the garbage truck comes along. :)
  17. Well said Spots, goin straight in my sig!
  18. And as a guy on another forum said

19. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/speedcameraoffences/index.html

I'm willing to concede that they have helped, maybe not reduced by 90% though.
  20. I reckon the correct question is... How many people who would have otherwise had a crash at a spot now "protected" by a speed camera drove safely on, only to have a crash at a location not so well "padded"? Impossible to measure though.

Frankly if I lived on a road where idiots were driving dangerously fast past my front gate I'd be glad of a speed camera. Problem is though I'd spend so much time looking at my own speedo to make sure I didn't speed I'd crash into a tree out the front of my property. :D

Speed cameras don't change habits. They just raise money.

More and visible police presence is the answer.

No stealth cop crap.

/random ramble caused by headache meds...

Fun Ha!