Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{NSW} Nowendoc to Scone - POI's ???

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by 99CIBBER, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hey Netriders,

Asking for advice and places of Intrerest for a little ride I have planned in a few weeks. Basically It's from Nowendoc on the Thunderbolts Way heading west to Scone via Dungowan, Nundle, Hanging Rock and Wallabadah. If you have any knowledge of the area then let me know the decent or rubbish roads to tackle and any gems along the way.

link:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&...1.632337,151.141663&spn=1.454538,2.903137&z=9

Cheers! CIBBER

2. All good roads, very pretty along the Dungowan creek. Some years ago with mates, we rode from Walcha ,down the thunderbolt about twenty kms (at a guess) Ended up joining the Dungowan road and I think it was from the Port Stephens Cutton road. If this is the correct road I'm thinking of, it is one of the most remarkable bit of road making I've seen. From Dungowan intersection look up and I mean UP! The road climbs some, I dunno say 200 meters almost vertical with a zillion turns. DO IT up and down and TAKE YOUR CAMERA. DO IT Nundle is very quaint and very pretty country. This is a good ride your planning.

Saturn 5 Ride safe, somebody wants you home to-night.

3. there's a wild bit of road leading up to a dam behind Nundle too, don't remember the name of the road or the dam, but it'd be a shame to be that close to a good road and miss it

4. G'day Fellas,

Well I did the ride and it was fantastic. Very scenic, no traffic and a good mix of corners, very tight climbing up to hanging rock and nice sweepers between the New England and Nundle. My favourite section was between the town of Dungowan and the Thunderbolts way. The road climbs up into a dense forest with tight corners and steep sections then plateaus into open farm land great views across the top of the ranges. 6kms of dirt on Topdale rd from the turn off @ Thunderbolts. Hard packed graded surface, no dramas there. Chaffey Dam was full and looked stunning. see pics. I intended on doing the run from Thunderbolts across in a westerly direction but as Thunderbolts was closed due to land slips slightly north on Glouchester, I came up from Singleton through Scone. Lots of road works around scone. I got to Thunderbolts around 4:30pm and then blasted north to Armidale for my stay. I had the road to myself and it was a chance to open it up after a leisurely ride through the hills. The next day I did Waterfall way. (zero deg. and fog in the morning turned into a warm sunny dry day) Lunch @ the Pub with no beer, then down to Wauhope for an afternoon run up the Oxley and Walcha for my second night stay. The next day was equally stunning. Clear skies and no traffic, I decided to have a crack at the looooong way round the land slip on Thunderbolts. So I headed down to Nowendoc and took an awesome rd up into the hills East of the Thunderbolts Way, 60 kms of gravel, but it was worth it for the scenery, cows, lyre birds, foxes sheep, no humans! cattle grids and a few causeway crossings all on the CBR..

Attached Files:

• n2.
      n2.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
    • n3.
      n3.jpg
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
    • n4.
      n4.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  5. You Barstard,that sounds like you ticked all the boxs for a fantasic cuircut,have to remember this for future refrence.Anything that includes up hill on the Oxley and The Water Fall,love it

6.  Top
  7. More Pics:

Attached Files:

• n5.
      n5.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
    • n6.
      n6.jpg
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
    • n7.
      n7.jpg
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
  8. and More:

Attached Files:

• n8.
      n8.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    • n9.
      n9.jpg
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
  9. sounds like the ride of a lifetime, so lucky to get fine sunny weather this deep into winter

Chaffey Dam was the place I was after, looks every bit as pretty as I remember it

10. Yes Mate, I was blessed with the weather. The weekend before the trip Thuderbolts, Waterfall way and the Oxley were ALL closed due to flooding and/or landslips., Even the road out to The Pub w no beer was closed because it was underwater. It was my first Solo trip away and it was a new experience. I enjoyed doing things in my own time and meeting people along the way, but I did miss the mateship you get on small group rides. Having said that, it's good for the soul to get out on your own, clear the head and ponder life. :)

11. How was the acomidation,what kinda distance did you do a day.We did a trip to Gloucester and back to Sydney in a day a couple of weeks back, 10 hrs on the bike ,ended up all that way and still missed the Ox up hill.

12. I know what you mean, when I rode that part of the world last time it was with just three other riders, about the perfect size I reckon.

With my brother now off bikes for good due to his injuries I'll be getting used to a lot more solo rides, which, as you say, have their own appeal....

13. The trip was 1600kms over 3 days. Which were mostly country roads, well known for bikers and in the HEMA motorcycle atlas.
    First day: Sydney > Armidale where I stayed with a mate. Day 02: Armidale > Walcha, rocked up to the Walcha Motel around 5:30pm and got a room for $89. The owner also rides, so he gave me some advice and checked road conditions for me. He rides a Trumpy Bonnie from memory. Prob could of gotten a cheaper place, but i was wrecked so i just went to the first place i saw in town. Very clean and warm, TV (watched the MotoGP) powerful shower, he also lent me a phone charger from his collection of about 100+ ha!! Day 03: Walcha to Home.

I probably should have done it in 4 days for a few reasons. I was arriving at my destinations in the dark, which is always sketchy due to many reasons which I don't need to explain. Twilight on the Oxley was nerve racking as it's riddled with furry critters. I spotted about half a dozen wallabies and a fox ran out in front of my bike as well. I teamed up with a lone rider from Wollombi which helped illumniate the road, we were rounding up cars in quick succession and there were beady eyes on the side of the road there as well. He peeled off to do the OR, (crazy fvcker). So the available light during the day was limited. Riding all day on a sports bike takes it's toll on the body. It was winter, i couldn't leave at the crack of dawn because there was heavy fog and it was farking cold, so I got away after 8:30am each morning. Summer would be better for early starts. It was tough doing the Oxley in the arvo because of the Sun. I would reccomend doing it before lunch to avoid the setting sun in your eyes the whole time. I have a missus and 2 kids so I was on a bit of a tight schedule. :)

The Oxley has been re surfaced in sections, and i shit you not, it's race track quality.
    You gotta do it mate, get up there now!

14. I have done it down,even downhill it is a fantastic bit of road.Tamworth to Sydney via the Ox and down the coast in a big day,all on a 32 year old Laverda.I was towing the brake down trailer on a Club run to Bellengin via the Water Fall,very sadly not on the bike last year,linking both would be so good.You did good.