Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

nsw noise restrictions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wizzardofaus, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. any body know what the deal is with motorcycle noise restrictions in nsw?

    I have been I can be booked if I dont have a compliance sticker on my bike, even If my bike is vic registered.

    does anybody know anything about this?
    Or is it all a big crock!

  2. How the hell will those Harley's pass the noise test?
  3. kinda what I was thinkin' Jezza.
  4. The best that I can offer after reading info that the MRA researched, and what's on MCC of NSW's website and after enquiries to NSW EPA, and to Vicroads, is that if your bike is Vic registered and is truly roadworthy, insofar as noise limits go, but if you don't have that plate that lists bike make and model, and test data then yeah, you can be fined. In fact, the NSW EPA has the power to put bikes off the road. That bit is unclear, as I don't know how an interstate authority can affect our rego, given that they're not the issuing authority.

    What makes it even more stupid is that NSW's RTA will happily register for the road any bike that complies with the relevant ADRs and which passes the noise and other requirements but doesn't have the plate.

    There's a story of a fellow who bought a brand newa Kawasaki ZXR1200 (I think it was). He then got pulled over by a police/RTA roadside testing operation. The bike failed because it didn't have this plate. It's gone to court, and I think the fellow won. I'm not sure of the implications though.

    We're heading to NSW in a few weeks on a 3 day ride. Luckily my bike complies, as it has after market Staintunes on it, with the appropriate label. However, that doesn't guarantee protection, as they can still test for actual noise level, and despite what the label says, if the noise does exceed the limit, then you're stuffed.

    The whole idea of this label was to expedite the roadside testing procedure. You're pulled up, officers check the plate. If there, then you're sent on your way.

    However, in practice, they still pull you over, check for the plate, AND test you. So, really, it's a waste of taxpayer money, an infringement on your freedom of movement, (check the MCC NSW's website for the photos of the roadside testing - hundreds of bikes pulled into a truck bay or similar waiting to be tested.) and a decidedly anti-bike bureaucratic regulation that's badly thought out and highly discriminatory. After all, cars and trucks don't require this plate. All they have to do is to pass the noise test. Which if applied to bikes as well, negates the need for the plate.
  5. just found out that this law only appiles to bikes produced after july 1988 so that means my 1968 BSA is safe from the noise nazis!!!!!!

    thats all that matters.

  6. considering the MRA's interest for the most part of last year the only research done was by me, any other information came directly from the NSWMCC. MRA researched thats funny :LOL: :LOL:

    The ZX10 brand new fails all noise tests under the old ADR, but passes under the new ADR brought in this year as long as it's 2005 complienced
  7. This really pisses me off, when trucks are allowed to operated the compression brakes at all hours of the day and night in any area.

    There is at least a reason for bikes to be a bit louder then cars, but the trucks in Aus are disgusting.

    To make it worse there are more trucks on the roads then bikes.
  8. So you've not noticed the signs at the start of many rural towns displaying something along the lines of "do not use engine/exhaust/compression brakes in town area". Trucks can be booked for using compression brakes in certain areas and/or certain times - that's not to say they don't do it but there are laws in place to prevent it, much like there's laws to prevent fitting loud pipes to motorcycles.
  9. Jd,

    I thought so too. Apparently the signs are just advisory.

    I contacted the RTA, the EPA and the Police on this one and not just the plebs on the phone service.

    If you know of the law let me know because I've got a real problem in our area.
  10. I've got a good idea why doesn't everyone just tell the NSW government and the NSW EPA to stick their state up their arse :evil: :evil: :evil: and stay here in good old Victoria. We also have some of the best roads on the mainland, spend the money locally and let the NSW locals worry about their own economy.

    Talk about a state of NAZI bastards, I wonder how long though before our imperial fuhrer Bracks goes down the same path.

    Time to take my happy tablets again.................
  11. I guess the problem lies in the fact that trucks may have a legitimate need to use compression brakes in a residential area (ie an emergency situation) so it would be difficult to make it illegal. However I would have thought the law covering "offensive" noise from a vehicle, the one used to book cars for loud stereos etc. could be applied to trucks, though it might be that they are just not quite loud enough.
  12. when i bought my bike from the dealership it was fitted with a staintune can but didn't have the label attached,the salesman warned me that they were cracking down on these and to ring up the manufacturer to post out a label. I received the label just prior to picking up the bike,and about a week later put the standard can on [was also supplied with purchase],then promptly sold the aftermarket one so i wouldn't be tempted to throw it back on. :D
  13. Yeah...and my VF is also exempt....and it is SERIOUSLY loud...go V4's ;)

    My infinately more powerful R1 sounds like a pathetic little weezebox in comparison...

    Ah...yearn for the days when bikes were bikes and V8's sounded real....