Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW - need help with RTA license & rego advice - newbie!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jbonevia, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Hi Guys,

    I was hoping to get some advice on licensing and registration questions, i am having a hard time interpreting what is on the RTA website.

    I have just recently moved from Melbourne to Sydney and i am thinking about getting a 150cc vespa to get around on up here and to teach the girlfriend to ride. Now before you laugh too much i have a RG500 in Melbourne thats coming up soon (cant wait!) so that kind of offsets the scooter doesnt it???

    Is is possible for a person in NSW to have a bike registered in their name but not hold a bike license? The reason being is i still have VIC drivers/riders license and my Melbourne address, i cant swap over to a NSW license until i get proof of my new address, we wanna get a bike before then so i thought it could be registered in my girlfriends name and i can ride it on my VIC license until i get it all swapped over, it might take a while for me to get a letter/bill/statement in my name.

    Secondly i am confused with all this pink/green slip stuff. If we buy a bike with say 3 or 4 months rego on it what do we need to get at the time of purchase? The RTA website says just to fill out the transfer form and pay stamp duty and transfer fee's, does this mean the green slip CTP is transferred with the rego or do we have to get a green slip before we can transfer the bike into one of our names?

    Also come rego time in 4 months, do you have to provide a pink slip (bike is a 2006 model) or do you get some respite for a couple of years?

    Thanks guys for any advice!
  2. 1. Greenslip carries with the registration transfer.

    2. Pink slip not required for a bike less than three years old. It is the same as your RWC, however it is required every year for registration in nsw for private vehicles more than 3 years old.

    3. yes, an unlicensed person can have a vehicle registered to them. In NSW, you need what the RTA call a customer number. For most people this is just your NSW license number. For interstate people and corporations, you can apply for a customer number without needing a license.

    You also have 2 weeks to transfer the registration once youo have purchased the vehicle.
  3. Yup, you can have a bike registered by a person who doesn't have a bike licence. My registration for my bike is under my mum's name (woohoo, cheaper insurance!) ;)
  4. When you bring up your RG500 your going to need to get a blue slip which is the RWC. NSW RTA and Vic Roads dont give a toss about each other so its just more of a headache for you. To get your RWC you will need to have a consumer information notice if the bike is an import i believe.

    Good luck