Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by clumzoid, Dec 13, 2010.

1. First off yes I'm an idiot...

I just passed my Ps test yesterday and as i was riding back home got pulled over for doing 92km on the Anzac bridge (60km/hr). Cops proceeded to take my license off me hand me a letter of suspension for 3 months and a $690 fine and wouldn't tell me if i could still drive my car( i have all my 12 points)

Now i can't upgrade my Learners to my Ps because of the suspension and my learner expires in a month...

The guy at the RTA wouldn't give me any info on whether i can still drive my car and wouldn't upgrade my learners to Ps although the suspension wasn't in the system yet. He told me to wait for a letter they'll send out to me and wouldn't give me any info in regards to my situation.

So am i suspended from driving a car even though i would still have 7pts left?

and i was told by another rta customer service person that i could possibly still upgrade to my Ps by appealing the fact that i couldnt because of the suspension.

anyone have a similar experience or know if its even plausible that ill get to upgrade to my Ps and not got through the whole process again

2. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

Edit: no point to this...

3. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

I think theres an automatic 3 month license suspension for speeding 30 k over. Its not because your on L plates, so unfortunately you lose your car license too.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/speeding.html

Was the little bugger hiding behind a wall just before the on ramp from the fish markets, heading west? Worst place in Sydney for cops. Its very easy to go 90+ there. Stupidest 60 zone.

4. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

I stand corrected, thanks Smilee - forgot about the 30-over part...

5. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

i agree ( and am guessing ) that it will be 3 months on both licences.....

it's the 30 km/h breach which should affect your car also....

sorry to hear this ( and that is a very prominent spot for cops to be with a radar gun ).

6. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

Yup was that exact spot was just keen to get home and unwind - no such luck.

7. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

Just curious did he tell you that he was taking 3 km/h off for error? I doubt theres anything you can do if he didn't but just curious if they actually will do that if it changes the fine.

I went past a cop there at about 75 (probably would end up <10 over after errors) and he didn't pull me over. I've got a feeling that so many people speed through there that they don't bother pulling you over unless your close to 90.

8. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

State?
    And you have blown your license regardless of whether it's a learners or P's on a bike.
    No you cannot drive a car for the designated time as the points loss carries across to your license.
    Your license is one with the addition of a bike added.

9. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

Nope he just showed me the speed and was quick to take my license and tell me to sort out transportation back home.

10. Re: Need Clarification? 30km over on Learner with Unrestricted Car

Was it a navy blue hwp? I was headed into the city at around 8.30pm last night to pick up a friend and I saw him there, on the on ramp from the fish markets pointing the laser 400m up the road, at tracking coming to the S at the end of the bridge.

I was doing about 75 odd and still getting passed by a few cars but he didn't throw on the party lights. Looks like he was hunting big game :/.