Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW MOST Test Day: What to expect

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by taymaishu, Oct 8, 2013.

1. So fresh in my mind after Friday's MOST test for my P's, I thought it'd be valuable to some length for newbies to know what happens on the MOST test day. Most confusing (pardon the pun) can be the fact you spend 8 hours there for a test that takes approx. 4 minutes.

You'll all gather and sign the arrival sheet. Then, your instructor takes you to your theory room (where you won't spend much time at all throughout the day). The instructor covers off the 3 main points learned during the L's course: buffering, observation and set up. This is basically a re-hash of simply roadcraft skills.

For those that bring their own bikes, you are then requested to gear up and ride to an inspection point. There, you will all gather while on your bikes and display the following when your instructor asks:
    1. Headlight and high beam works
    2. All four blinkers work
    3. Horn works
    4. Brake light works for front and rear brakes.
    5. Kill switch works.
    6. Throttle return works.

This is relatively straight forward. I have heard there are far stricter instructors who go to the lengths of measuring chain guards, fender dimensions etc., however I did not experience any of that.

Hot tip: Check ALL of this the day before. My headlight went out the night before the test and I would not have noticed if I didn't ride that night. Lucky.

Before going on the range you'll be asked if you want to check tyre pressures and top up/back off the pressures. It's all done yourself so it helps to know your optimal pressures. Remember that tyres can drop a couple of PSI just by sitting in the garage overnight and this can affect the handling and particularly braking performance of your bike.

You'll being on the range doing a large figure-8 course with a give way 'sign' for one end. Things the instructor watches for:
    1. Obey give way.
    2. Looking at EXIT of each curve.
    3. Buffering away from bike that is on 'give way' responsibilities.

Hot tip: Check your pressures and top them up even if 1-2 PSI down from normal.

You'll have a short break and return to the theory room. Here, you'll discuss buffering and traffic awareness and response techniques. The instructor will advise on rules for the road ride and how it is done.

You'll head off in a group for the road ride of approx 1 hour. Each rider has a turn at the front for about 5-10 minutes while the instructor watches from second-in-line. You'll be watched on buffering, setting up, assessing hazards and generally how you respond to potential dangers. At the end of each rider's stint at the front, you'll pull over and recap with the instructor on things that were seen.

Hot tip: Remember your minimum 3-second gap to the vehicle in front! The instructors are quite adamant on pointing out how large that gap actually is.

Self explanatory.

Hot tip: If attending St Ives, bring some snacks or lunch with you. It's a bit of a ride to St Ives to get food and will take up most of your 45 minute break.

Now, you'll get back to the range where the instructor will set up the MOST test. Except, it's actually not. It's a harder version of the test designed to really push you. I don't necessarily agree to this as a lot of people get upset and frustrated.

I cracked the shits when I was struggling to get around the left-hand turn, until I spied the ACTUAL left turn box on the ground in the middle of the range ;)

Hot tip: If you're not making turns, DON'T get frustrated! Just keep trying to employ the techniques knowing that you have a little more space on the actual test.

The instructor will walk the group through the test site. They will explain each module which is:

1. Left hand turn and stop in the box.
    2. Cone weave and u-turn.
    3. Emergency stop.
    4. Emergency weave.

You'll go in order of sign-up on the arrival card at the beginning of the day. If you're first - REMEMBER HEAD CHECKS.

Hot tip: Take it easy, it's actually not that hard. Just remember to head check, head check, head check.

If you passed, you'll go back to the reception area to collect your certificate.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Thanks for the write-up. I just did my MOST about a week ago, but would definitely have found your post very useful if it had existed before then! No doubt others waiting to do their MOST will get value out of this.

I couldn't agree more! I fell victim to this as well - had spent hours and hours practising my cone weaves and u-turn beforehand, so when I didn't do as well as I had anticipated while in the practice session, I got really upset with myself for suddenly regressing on the day of the test. Unlike you, I wasn't observant enough to spot the actual MOST markings, so unfortunately when I went to start the real test, my confidence was in pieces.

This alone demonstrates that your post will help many others out on the day (wished I had known this myself!), so they don't get caught by surprise. The RMS has good intentions in doing it like this, but it sure can unsettle some.
  3. If there's three things I can strongly recommend to people who are going to do their MOST.

1. Practice
    2. Don't over think it on the day
    3. Practice.
  4. my MOST was very similar to this, but there were differences NOT differences in the actual test, just a few little things.

1. We were not given the opportunity to check or top up tyre pressure. Chain tension, tyres, break settings etc were assumed as our responsibility.

NB: Supercheap auto has a "pocket gauge" that looks a little bit like a pen with a round half ball on the end of it that is worth its weight in gold. I keep mine in my bike jacket and a spare one in my tiny storage space under the seat. Some joker stole my tyre caps when I was at work once and the gauge told me if it was safe to ride to the nearest garage to get new ones.

2. In the road ride we stayed in our positions through out the entire road ride, only the instructor changed positions through the group after the various stop points (people had to travel a fair distance to the testing centre and not everyone was familiar with the roads, hence the strict order of riders. Most familiar with the roads at the front and rear).

3. Testing was in alphabetical order of last name, so I was second last. I arrived and signed on first on the day.

These are only little differences, but I assume each centre and each tester will have their quirks and differences and it's important to remember that.

On my MOST day we had a rider removed from the road ride for failing to do head checks at all. Not even to check traffic coming from the right. Not even at round-abouts. If the rider in front of him (I was behind him) moved off, he closed in tight to that rider and trusted that the gap was big enough for both of them.
    If you ride in a dangerous manner of make an illegal manoeuvre that the tester sees you will be removed and you will not be allowed to complete the actual MOST test.
  5. I am going for my MOST tomorrow, I have some bottles of water, a measuring tape and a printout of the MOST course dimensions. Going to set them out in the car park here at work and practice for a few hours. U turn is okay, I was practicing getting it in 2 car spaces, just the swerve and the weave I am unsure of. Fingers crossed :happy:
  6. I will be taking the MOST test next week but I am not too sure if my bike is allowed. I am riding a Hyosung 250 which is LAM approved but it came with a modified exhaust. So is it alright?
  7. What model hyosung 250 mate, r , s or gv ? Don't worry about it if its got an exhaust on it
  8. It is Hyosung GT 250 comet. I heard of stories where people where not allowed to do the test when their bikes were rejected by the tester. I have a photo of the exhaust but can't seem to upload it.
  9. @bzbzbz@bzbzbz That is fine, one of the guys on my course had a GT250. If you are worried tho, you can also rent a bike for the day?
  10. Wow how things have changed. I got my riders licence about a month before they introduced mandatory riding courses. My test consisted of an emergency stop in the car park of the testing centre and a ride around the block. The tester said if I came back alive, I could have my licence. Of course he also checked the bike was legal, lights, horn indicators, tyres (Had legal tread), mirrors not cracked.

I had been riding dirt bikes since I was 12, so I was fairly confident with the test back then and had been driving sor about 12 years ( I was 29 when I got my bike licence). In the emergency stop i left short black lines with the rear brake (Like ABS can do these days) but back then bikes didn't have ABS. I had the bike settled on its suspension and stopped just infront of the instructor, and then put my feet down. He just smiled, know I was capable enough, sigend my paperwork and handed me a full licnece.
  11. For my most test I had:

Damage to left side fairing (taped up)
    Low-hanging right hand rear blinker
    Yoshi pipe with baffle removed
    Chopped rear fender.

No worries mate - all sweet.
  12. Yeah, good write up OP. How did you remember all that with such great detail!?

But you're right about the Head Check. It is nerve racking but it's all common sense really. I remember being so nervous I forgot the head check...even after the instructor basically tells you to do it, I immedicately forgot the first time.

It's a good day though. Everyone is in the same boat as you. Just relax into it & you'll pass easy.
  13. Good onya mate for a good write up.

As you so rightly point out, there are, and have been, stricter instructors, and, from your later posting, about the condition of your bike, you were quite lucky not to meet one.
  14. Suggestion: Consider putting anything that's sharp, spikey and/or can cause additional injury in the event of a spill - such as gauges, keys, pens, mobile phone etc in storage on the bike rather than on your person, eg. jkt pockets. Ribs have been known to be fractured from mobile phones etc.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anyone got the dimensions plan for this cone weave MOST test thing so I can lay it in a car park please?
  16. Cheers - legend work. Im some middle aged dude on the Central Coast whos Verseys 650 arrives next weekend. Utter n00b.
    • Like Like x 1