Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW MOST swerve test

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by shake, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I know there are plenty of threads here on the NSW MOST - have read through several of them but didn't come across anything that specifically talks about my question, so here goes.

The cone weave and U-turn seem to get a lot of attention, but of all the tests in the MOST, I'm actually most stressed about the swerve test.

The swerve itself is easy enough - but I keep worrying about jumping the gun (ie swerve too early) and failing because of it. This fear always makes me tense up, which is counter-productive. (How precise are the testers when watching for premature swerving?)

I know I'm not supposed to look at the cones themselves, and to rely on my peripheral vision - but this is easier said than done for me.

How do I get the timing right? Any tips?

I would be grateful for any suggestions!

2. This was the activity I failed the first time I did my MOST. I had been perfect for months and then I just went through a little too fast and clipped a tennis ball on the way back in. 0 points up to that too...

If you're worried, practice on narrower swerves, then on the day you've got room for nerves. This is an activity that's just going to happen one way or the other so just be confident in your general skill.

Other things, make sure you know what 20km feels like and sounds like on your bike, go on learner sessions and ask them to help you focus on that activity.

3. Thanks for the tips. Will definitely practice some more to familiarise myself with doing 20-25 in my bike, but I don't really anticipate any problems on that front.

Not really worried about the swerve either, it's really just the timing that I need to get right I think... or just trust that I won't swerve too early.

4. The swerve test is quite easy. All the distances are available for download, go to a large carpark and mark out the course. Won't take long to get confident in it. My main concern was the u-turn but I passed easily.

5. I passed my MOST yesterday - after all those hours practising, I was very relieved.

I never really came to a surefire way to precisely time my swerve - the most I ever got was to watch the cones disappear from my peripheral vision (which I found hard to replicate reliably every single time).

As it turned out however, I was over-thinking the timing issue on the swerve, and putting too much emphasis on it. Even though technically you're not allowed to start swerving until your front tyre passes the cones, the tester didn't specifically watch for this - so it seems to me that as long as you don't over-do it (eg. start swerving a metre early), you won't get failed for swerving slightly early. After all we're all human and it's impossible to be 100% or even 98% accurate all the time, and I think that's accepted in the test.

6. Congrats!!!

7. Thanks!

8. Congrats on passing.
    I passed my most test about 3 months ago.
    In the swerve test the instructor said that I did swerve slightly too early, however as he observed that my actual technique was good I didn't have to re-attempt which I suppose is what they are actually looking for seeing as you won't have cones lined up for you in the real world to tell you to get out of the way of something.