Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Licence check from rego plate

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by blackjacket, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Hi all,

1. Can coppers check the status of your licence using your rego plate number? Or do they need to sight your licence card and type it into the computer?
    2. Is the above done during an RBT?

Nothing suss

bj. :p
  2. Yep, If you are the registered owner of said plate.
  3. you need to get a scanner and listen to police radio.
    they dont even need to type anything, they just ask over UHF/Digital radio. takes about 30 seconds.
  4. Yup, and not just at RBTs.

NSW Police use their rego checking setup all over the place. Apparently they caught shitloads of owners of unregistered vehicles by setting the system up on the out-ramps from the carpark at Westfield Parramatta.

Queue of traffic, nowhere to go....."excuse me sir, would you mind pulling over for a chat?"

I've also seen it used on major roads in peak-hour traffic, esp. Parramatta Rd. Also available in the Highway Cars..... http://bikes.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=42541&vf=2

Sneaky? maybe, but, like most things, if you're all paid up and legit, nothing to worry about.......
  5. Yes, the chances of getting caught unlicensed are HUGE!

So the real lesson here is to swap your plates with ones from the same model car from the airport's long-term parking facility.
  6. :LOL:

If the below technology doesn't exist now (or at least to the extent I describe), it will one day - and that will be a scary day.

Police have an automatic scanner that as they go along reads every plate in range of the sensor, this performs a few operations;
    - Any plate without rego on it will trigger the alert for the rozzers to go pull them over
    - Any speeding tickets/penalties/loss of license associated with the plate (ie owner or anyone ever caught speeding on that plate) will alert the rozzers that said person is a hoon and should be watched.

The latter is open to so many problems... anything with a bad driving history will be hounded more than others, which could turn into a nasty cycle that you can't get out of as you'll always be treated differently than other road users, ignoring those with clean records to a certain extent.
  7. For which, see below

Sneaky? maybe, but, like most things, if you're all paid up and legit, nothing to worry about.......
  8. What I'm worried about is that 1 speeding fine = looked at more closely than others, eg. 20 people in a group doing 70 in a 60 zone, but the rozzer would be alerted to the guy with a speeding fine, so he'd be targetted with more priority, eg. he mgiht get the speeding fine whilst the rest get nothing, then rinse and repeat but alert would be stronger as now has 2 speeding fines.
  9. That assumes the Police actually CARE who they book, doesn't it?

Like these signs that say "Police targetting speeding", are a load of fetid dingo's kidneys. Police are targetting ALL law-breaking, that's what they get paid to do. If they're on the way to a break and enter and they pass some dill who's been booked a couple of times, doing donuts in the car-park, they'll book him. Why? Because he's breaking the law. If they are on the way to check out the dill doing donuts and they spot a break and enter, they'll nab the crim.

Simple, isn't it?
  10. Yes.

My sister had her license suspended.
    She was in a line of traffic... a LOOONG line coming onto a freeway after passing through a country town. The traffic had to speed up to merge on the freeway.
    The traffic was doing 110 while still technically in a 90 zone [the 110 sign was about 150 metres ahead].

She was the only one pulled over.

She was the only P-plater.

The offence was enough to suspend her license because it was a long weekend.

I'm not going to say Police specifically target P-platers, or victimise them in any way... because we all know this to be fact already.
    But the state governments specifically target and victimise people who speed: there is a wide-spread automated system for catching people doing it; and the process of a fine [sorry: offer to contract guilt NO NEGOTIATING OR WE WILL F*CK UP YOUR LICENSE AND REGO] is a disgusting miscarriage of justice whether the party is innocent or guilty.
  11. Mmmmm, don't get busted speeding as a P-plater. Three months automatic disqualification [for RED Ps at least].

Yep, that's right. But maybe there's a reason.....?

There's a reason L & P-platers are "targeted", it's because they are still learning to drive. No different to bike restrictions for L&P platers.

But, yes, it's a pain in the arse if you're not on an unrestricted licence. :(
  12. Nope, this was before those laws came in.
    She even had my parents in the car - the cop tells my mother to keep an eye on my sisters driving, mum says "What? She was keeping with the flow of traffic to merge onto a freeway. Everyone else was doing EXACTLY the same thing."

Cop pretends not to hear. Writes ticket.

The figures in the article prove nothing without an analysis from at least the last 10 years, and taking into account increased number of drivers and improved vehicle safety.

As a motorcyclist, what would you rather see policed more in young drivers:
    - speeding?
    - blind-spot checking, tailgaiting, indicating, lane discipline?

There is a widespread and highly publicised and touted system of enforcement for ONE of those options that is meant to help us all sleep at night knowing the government is looking after our kids and, indeed, all of us.

There's fcuk all being done about the other one.

Can you guess which is which?