Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National NSW learner licence to WA?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by braaap, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. Hey everyone,

    I've had my Learner licence in NSW since November but have been without a bike due to lack of funds. I'm 19 and I don't have any form of car licence. I may have to move to Perth soon due to work and was just wondering if my Learner licence transfers or counts towards anything in WA?
    I'm aware that you're required to hold a car licence before getting your bike L's in WA but because I already have mine am I exempt from this or am I screwed? Really hoping I don't have to wait 2-3 years to ride :cry:

    Any input would be appreciated!

    (p.s. if this isn't in the right section, sorry)
  2. Required to hold a car licence first? No, I don't think so! There might be different steps in the licensing procedure, but AFAIK you do NOT need a car licence first.

    You should be able to find everything you need to know here:

    Transport WA
  3. Thanks! A lot of good information there although there is no clear answer to my question, I'm a bit overwhelmed sifting through it. Does my Learner licence directly transfer to a WA learner licence without having to re-test? Am I better off getting my P's in NSW then transferring? Do P-platers in WA having to ride under supervision and are they restricted to 250cc bikes? Thanks again.
  4. Sorry, I can't answer the first half of your question, but P-platers don't need to ride under supervision here, although they can only ride 250cc ... we don't have the LAMS system. If it were me, I think I'd make sure I had a licence before I arrived here ...