Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Learner legal, insurance and the mysterious letter.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by moforila, May 19, 2007.

1. MOD: You are lucky I didn't lock and move this thread
    post your STATE please

I always had my eye on a nsr250 to start as my first bike. I was very disappointed when they I found out it was one of the 6 excluded 250cc learner legal bikes.

So I have been considering to buy one any way, and hope not to be picked up by police while getting my P’s and full licence.

I found one for sale online, asking price of $5700, a 93 SE model by the looks of it. Most probably ad MC21 SE. The bike looks very well maintained and presented in the photos.

When I contacted the seller he told me about a letter he had from the RTA saying that if the rider was 90kg and heavier the nsr was learner legal.

This sounded a bit funny to me so I called the RTA asking if I can get such a letter. They said they had never heard of such letters being issued and that nothing can be done to restrict the nsr250 to make it learner legal.

Do you guys think this letter could have been made by the seller or given to him with the bike from someone that did?

Could I have insurance for the bike?

Are the fines and penalties for riding over capacity $100-$200 and 0-3 points?
  2. Get a copy of the letter and take it to RTA for confirmation of it's validity.

Even if it's not valid, it would probably work on most cops anyway, but I would not encourage it.
  3. Thanks triway,

Great to see these forums are alive and well, thought it might take a day for a reply.

I am going down tomorrow to inspect the bike, so I will get a copy from the dude.

I really hope the letter is legit but somthing tells me the chances are slim.

Any idea on the fines or the insurance?
  4. Why would you pay that much for a fourteen year old bike? Just because it's two fiddy?

Save yourself a grand & just get a 2001 one fiddy.

They're heaps cooler :wink:

Plus if you get busted you'll be in heaps of trouble!!!!

You'll be pleasantly suprised how much power it's got too :)
  5. I know what you mean about paying so much for a 250 but cbr's go for more and a shitter bikes.

I am 90kg and 190cm so riding a nsr150 would really make it look like a toy. They also sound very much like law mowers and look like they use bicycle wheels. lol jokes most LL bikes are like that any way.

I was considering getting a VRT250, not very sporty looking but yeh they are new like the nsr150.
  6. If you complete your profile so we know where you are someone may be able to help. :wink:

And as Chani said, why would you want to pay so much for such an old bike, you'd be better with a new Aprilia RS125, which would also be legal in all states I believe.[/b]
  7. An old dunger like that for that kind of money is a waste. You are restricted, live with it.

As has been said on countless other threads with a similar question, if you get caught riding a bike you are not licensed to ride, it is not the fin and demerits you should be worried about, it is the fact there will be no insurance for any damage you cause to anyone or anything belong to yourself or someone else.

If you injure someone, a CTP insurer may well look after them, but rest assured you will get a start from them for their costs.
  8. Im in NSW and the VTR is sounding like a better option by every post.
  9. RS125s

I got the RS125. Just passed the first service, and runs a dream.
    But if you're thinking of swapping your bike as soon as your learner period is over, then any bike which fits is fine. You shouldn't lose too much money on a 250 anyway, as long as you don't drop it.

And yes, 2 strokes sounds funny! haha. But the powerband is so sweet...

As for the 90kg stuff, they are probably referring to the power to weight ratio which is now the new standard rather than the actual CC of the bike. On the list, you can actually go up to a 660cc bike in Adelaide on your learners, which has a lower power to weight, but wil obviously go faster at the top end.
  10. No-one wants to dwell on negatives, but Tweet is right on the money. If you cause an accident and you're on a bike you're not licensed to ride then your insurance company won't touch you with a barge pole. Do the smart thing and tough it out.
  11. At $5700 that is around the going price for a good NSR250. Someone was trying to sell one on the forums and said his one was restricted to 45hp? I don't know why this was maybe LAMS legal. Also these things would give out 60-65hp they are real weapons for 250cc.
  12. Why limit yourself to a 250? Seeing as you're a fairly big lump, you'd fit much better on a larger bike. There are plenty of larger capacity models that you could ride that are on the LAMS LIST.
  13. You took the words right out of my mouth. One of the reasons for LAMS was so that people can get an appropriate bike for them. You've got a huge choice there - have a good look around and see what you can get.
    If you have LAMS available, there's no excuse anymore to go outside the limits.

Both Bikesales and Bikepoint allow you to do a search by state and price and capacity - do that and you'll have an indication of what's available. Once you narrow it down - there's no shortage of people here who will be happy to give you the pros and cons of your potential choices.
  14. If you want the quickest and sportiest LAMS bike in NSW - it's the Honda RVF400

not the VFR --> the RVF

They hold their money a bit though, so you need to shop around for a good deal.

I think a few of the states' roads & traffic mobs were prepared to make allowances for 'larger' riders on some motorcycles: ie. yes, this rider's weight adjusts the power:weight ratio of the bike within limitations; give him an exemption.

... but this might have been only when LAMS was introduced and some people already bought/owned motorcycles that were technically now made unsuitable only by legislation.