Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW: lane splitting?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Hearse, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Evening all...

did a search for this, nothing came up so thought i would post it.

In NSW is it legal to lane split at all?

i was told that if the cars were not moving it was fine...but if the traffic was moving then it wasnt fine?

2. I've heard that its legal as long as you indicate (whatever the hell that means) and do it at a safe speed.

IE not at 60k's.

Having said that i split at stopped traffic and given the day and location i'll do it when the traffic is moving too.

I've also heard that its at the cops discression weather or not to charge you.
  3. apparently there is no clear laws which indicate exactly if it is legal or illegal.

so cops wont book you for lane splitting, instead they'll book you for something like failing to indicate, etc.

i lane split 24/7, till i see a cop, once i see them, i just jump back into a lane behind someone, cause you just never know if they are going to power trip or not...best to be safe then sorry.
  4. It is unlikely that a police officer will book you for lane splitting unless you do it in an unsafe manner or he is a dick. They know that if done safely it doesn't cause accidents and my understanding is that they couldn't care less about it.

The golden rule amoungst bikers is that you DONT lanesplit in moving traffic and you don't lanesplit along the shoulder of the road ( that will get you a ticket for sure ).

I also follow these rules....

I don't lanesplit at lights where I have to do either a right or left hand turn ... the reason for this is that if some meathead in a car decides he wants to be a smart arse and cut me off then he will have no hope in straight line acceleration.

I never lanesplit unless I have seen the lights turn red and I know I have ample time to get to the front line.

I never lanesplit if I see that any of the first cars are P platers or someone who is likely to try to drag me off. P platers are unpredictable in their actions.

Steve :)
  5. Ahhh, I thought it was something you got busted for. Because Canberra is so bloody pushbike oriented, I just slip up the side and use the bike lane, which is very wide!! Meanwhile the governement spends millions on these bike lanes but the roads are turning to sh!t!! (for Canberra standards but hey, we've got the most expensive rego in the country!)
  6. Well I have never seen anyone booked for lane spliting, but I have seen a copper open his door to stop the rider from filtering. Still they just constitutes on jealous copper i guess. :)
  7. Buggered if I know the official answer for NSW, ask the MRA-NSW ?

As a mexican who was in Sydney for work yesterday, I couldn't help notice that your suburban streets aren't as wide as ours. I couldn't see how you could split any traffic light queue of cars! In most cases, a driver could wind down his/her window and knock on the passenger window of the adjacent car. I also saw many many cars change lanes abruptly without any warning - my cabby was one of them too... made for interesting anxiety levels!

Freeways seemed a bit better, but they still don't seem as spacious as ours in Melbourne and lane changers didn't seem to like indicators.

I came home thinking that if you learned to split safely in Sydney, with minimal incidents, then you're a bloody legend and a highly attuned and skilled splitter!
  8. I actually had some complete w@nker try and take me out with his car the other day while heading down the middle lane while the lights were red and the traffic was stopped. He actually made an effort to take me out! Some complete mike hunts out there! :evil:
  9. Now I know that this is not for NSW, but interesting I thought anyway as I've never looked at the actual laws before.

No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:

(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or

(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or

(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.

Now this is in the SA rode rules, does this then mean that you can filter through traffic?

This covers riding next to another bike I think

The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride on a road that is not a multi-lane road alongside more than 1 other rider, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.
  10. That's what a lot of Mexicans say when they come up for a visit. It goes along way to explaining the differing attitudes to splitting between New South Welshmen and Victorians.

I've been through the www.legislation.nsw.gov.au website with a fine tooth comb looking for any direct reference to Splitting or Filtering and there is none. So far as I can tell there is no specific law against lane splitting, but there is a myriad of other laws that the cops can pull you up on if he's feeling like a prick...

Thank you very much. :cool:
  11. Well I guess the moral of the story is filtering is great and saves a tonne of time, not to mention it gets you infront of all those idiots who have no clue. But if you see a copper up ahead just pull in behind another car.
  12. Its a grey area like has been said. There are ways to do it perfectly legaly, but a cop can give you a hard time regardless.

But the fact is that you will get away with it as long as you follow the basic rules.
    Stationary traffic
    Low speed
    Dont do it if you know theres a cop watching
    Dont clip any mirrors
  13. Your second reasoning is the exact reason I do it - to stay ahead of the morons in traffic, not that we have much in Canberra but has anyone ever ridden around here? People are completely oblivious!!! :furious:
  14. Yeah I think it is a universal phenomenon :)
  15. Ha ha ha, i'm hearin ya! Although, i'd much prefer to be riding around sydney though (i've only driven around there so far, will be riding up for the first time next weekend) than in Canberra. Everyone is a bit more on the ball there, only cause you have to deal with real traffic and no one hangs around. In Canberra it's like a bloody funeral procession at the lights!
  16. If you get fined or crash - you did it wrong :p
  17. I was told by the guy at the Ps test centre that filtering/splitting/ whatever you want to call it & no matter what your friends say is simply illegal.

Maybe its because he saw us riding in.... :wink: