Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

nsw: jenolan caves or wombeyan caves?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by twainharte, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Planning a 2 day trip. Clock-wise or anti-clockwise is yet to be confirmed...
    Leaning towards anti-clockwise as I've located potential overnight accom. near Oberon(private hot tub incl. ;)) .

Itinerary 1(Anti-Clockwise):

Syd > Wentworth falls
    Wentworth Falls > Zigzag Railway OR Jenolan caves
    Overnight stay
    Wombeyan Caves > Robertson > Minnamurra Rainforest > Syd

Itinerary 2(Clockwise):

Syd > Minnamurra Rainforest:
    Minnamurra Rainforest > Robertson
    Robertson to Wombeyan caves
    Camp overnight
    Wombeyan caves > Zig zag railway
    Zig zag railway to Wentworth falls > Syd

Which is better, Jenolan or Wombeyan caves? Only want to spend half a day on caves.

I say, a cave's a cave. Never been down to Wombeyan and from what little I could find online, folks write that the drive(from Berrima?) is quite stunning...

Another question is about access to Wombeyan via the West of the Blue Mtns Nat. Park. Is Wombeyan caves Rd a through road?

2. It's a long time since I was up that way but I believe the Wombeyan Caves Road to Richland is still mostly dirt.
  3. I just spent last weekend at jenolan cave's with the family done 3 cave your's over the two day's and came home via bathurst and done a couple of lap's of the track and did the national motorsport museum.....

The cave's are truely amazing highly recommended ;)

Next time I will be definatly be taking the bike those road's are insane.....
  4. cheers.

itinerary has been amended:

syd > wentworth falls > jenolan caves

overnight stay

zigzag railway > Glow Worm Tunnel > syd
  5. Its been a long time since I did the Wombeyan Caves to Goulbane road but it was a shocker and I have been around a bit.Extreme corrigated off camber 25kph downhill corners and when I say 25k slower would be better,it couldnt be any worse,they must have improved it these days I hope
  6. Yep the road from berrima to wombeyan caves is a mainly dirt road, and pretty rough if you try it on a non offroad bike, riding down through taralga and down to goulburn is a nice sealed road though, also when you are around robertson and mac pass, if you have time head down into kangaroo valley, it is a great road too