Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Interim Rego Papers- What's the Go?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by madwomanofdonnellyst, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. My shiny new bike turned up on the weekend (VTR250), and I finally got to take her out for a spin last night. Loved every minute of it!

    But my question is this...

    It's a new bike, bought from a dealer in Sydney, and transported up to me in northern NSW. It's fully registered and insured, but because the transaction was completed via phone/post over 600-odd kms I'm still waiting for the final paperwork to reach me. The bike has a hand-written interim rego sticker on it- is there any problem riding it? Should I be waiting until the official sticker comes through?

    Similarly, if (God forbid) I have an accident am I going to be in a world of trouble if I don't have the CTP papers yet? Or does the fact that it's paid up and in the mail mean I'm covered?

    Just wanting to make sure my impatience/enthusiasm isn't going to cause me any dramas.
  2. Same thing when I bought my new car.

    Interim rego label.

    You can drive/ride it around no worries.

    You should get the proper one in the mail in under a week. I think the temp one is valid for 2 or 4 weeks.
    Call the dealer if you haven't received it within 2 weeks.
  3. Your CTP insurance should be fine too. The dealer wouldn't have been able to register it and get the interim label without it being all in order.

    All our work cars, and my bike - which were bought new, were bought from local dealers and all came with interim labels, by the way. So it's not because you are far away from your dealer.
  4. Goodo. Thanks guys.