Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Hope she doesn't come back....

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hornet, Feb 27, 2009.

1. the stats say crime etc all dropped significantly..did she do a good job or not hornet:?: i honestly dont know being from NSW

and i havent heard of the Vic police shooting people regularly in ahwhile.... :)
  2. +1 yah hope NSW road rules arnt ever as bad as VIC
  3. Relas Hornet we are stuck with her.
    She's been put in charge of the bushfire repair program, something I feel she will be able to do well unlike her job as commissioner.
    We need some cops with mongrel to deal with street crime not the namby pamby softly softly approach they have adopted under her reign.
  4. The cops absolutely loathe that woman. She's pretty nice in person, but shit... not even that overpaid pommy bloke they brought out to Sydney before the Olympics was disliked anywhere near as much.
  5. Why was she disliked? Is it because the former commissioner is a women? Did she bust up the boys club in Vic and upset their misogynistic bullying ways? Is that the underlying problem? Or is it that she was in a position of power and authority and we just need to slag her; that's the Australian way after all? So, what did she do that was that bad? Just curious from an outsiders perspective!
  6. Smiling Assassin would be a good way of describing her.
    Street crime, softly softly namby pamby pansy approach by our coppers in dealing with street crime has really dealt her a savage blow as has her overzealous approach to catching motorists for 3 kmh over etc.

Her role was more in being a yes person for the government and the states biggest revenue earner rather than crime enforcer.
    Crime stats may say differently but the perception here is that it isn't safe to walk the street in the city and even worse in some suburbs this lies fairly and squarely on that enormous lap of the police chief..
  7. I don't think any of that stuff is relevant Krabi, not to my mind anyway.

One cop I spoke to said she is turning the police force into a "Service" and she used business plans and ideas that could have the heading changed and it could easily be a business model for a fast food chain, consulting business or retail shop - with customers, satisfaction results and marketing plans much the same as these guys.

She is trying to modernize the police force and their methods, bringing them into line with the London Met and similar paper trails where there are plenty of assesers, community liason chiefs and emails being sent around regarding cultural sensitivity. "Community Based Policing" or something like that.

She's also planning on making the police for a university style degree like in NSW, where you have to go and live in the academy and for six months without pay. And they wonder why Vic has more police recruits than in NSW. Anyway.
  8. Now this is a more appropriate response. It's critiquing her method rather than the person.
    I think business model approaches are creeping in many parts of public service from teaching, health and now policing. I suppose accountability is crucial and important especially in organizations that have power and control that can be easily abused. Business models have this accountability mechanism inherent in them.
    However, I like you (I hope I am not being presumptuous) do have a problem with business models entering into public spheres especially when business is about making profit and public service is about, well what can I say, public service. These are two opposing world views. That's why I am very upset with the federal Labour Govt and their desire to adopt American style corporate schooling as the ideal model.
    If the former Police Commissioner has done what you have said, I can see why people are upset.
  9. Perception is everything. Statistics can be manipulated to demonstrate the "outcomes" that are required, not necessarily what is actually occuring out there.

If you believe that you're gonna get the crap kicked out of you if you go out at night then nothing else matters. And if it does occur then that perception, paranoia or whatever you'd like to call it is then justified.

As for community policing a couple of police friends of mine, back in the 80s and early 90s were always bemoaning the uselessness of the local community policing squads. So that concept has been around a long time before Nixon ever became Chief Commish.

There was also a belief back then, and even today I think, if you look at the Ashby-Linnell-Mullett affair, that having academics running the show isn't the answer, either. One of the mates had a few runins with Kel Glare when he was in charge. He was apparently a product of the administrative side of things. And a lot seem to think that Overland is of the same mould.

If whoever takes over the reins has had many years in the job at a street level it would engender more credibility and confidence in the position, and therefore the force as a whole, I'd say. But if whoever gets the gig has spent most of his career pushing paper, earning a degree or two and firing out emails, instead of having to deal with drunks, druggies and real crooks, then things won't get any better.
  10. Actually - the old fashioned thug type of cops hate her - the younger ones and those that don't drag their knuckles on the ground generally think she's doing a good job.
  11. When a Police FORCE becomes a Police SERVICE, the crims rejoice!
  12. Yeah, the older ones who have served under other commisioners, and the new guys have probably only done the community stuff. That being said, a ex coworker of mine is now a full GD cop and he doesn't have much time for her either.
  13. "Crime stats may say differently"

No wonder. There are no police to put on the streets and the ones that are available are snowed under with paperwork.
  14. I suppose when you interrupt the very profitable inflow of cash from organised crime you're bound to upset a few people...

I couldn't say with any true knowledge. Cops I have spoken to don't seem to like her, but that may be because they don't like being watched 24-7, guilty or innocent.
  15. That right, Police are under resourced, keept in the office doing paperwork, most people know this and think if I ring the Police no-one will come so I won't ring them, end result crime stats go down. CCP looks good. Police member = not happy.
  16. Classic case in point; two underage thugs driving round a Southern Highlands town on the weekend, attempted to run off the road two cyclists known to them, one of whom is the son of a school teacher. School teacher rings the local Police with the details and the number of the car, and the local Police ring back 20 minutes later to say the that owner of said car has said that his car is in his driveway, thank you very much.

These poor cops are so busy with paperwork and looking over their shoulders worrying about ICAC and stuff that they don't have time (nor probably the inclination) to drive round to this bloke's house and confront him about the number of underage boys who are seen either driving his car or travelling in his car with him. Until an actual crime is committed, I guess nothing will happen either?
  17. Vic's new chief commish, Simon Overland, wants to "get tough" but doesn't want to adopt zero tolerance policies.

Hmm. Wonder how he's gonna work that one.

He also says that parents need to get involved. That's well and good. But these days parents are limited in what they can do with regards to disciplining their children. If the kids are smart enough about it they'll go whinging to DHS and claim that their parents are abusing them. Parents get in the poo, and it's hard to shake such accusations. So, parents have to be careful how they control their children.

Now, this only works for kids under 18. Anyone who is 18 or older is an adult and hence is responsible for their actions. Well, so the theory goes. And when they get out on the streets, drugged up or pissed and cause mayhem the parents are powerless to act on many levels. Police don't adopt zero tolerance. So the thugs get away with it, time and again.

Underage drinking - that requires zero tolerance, but our new commish doesn't think so. I don't know why police don't close establishments down as soon as they detect underage children being sold alcohol. Same for serving intoxicated persons.

So, we'll see more of the same. We'll see shitloads of resources poured into grabbing the fellow who pops a small wheelie up on the Spur somewhere, while cops in town are nowhere to be seen when they're called to help with violence related crimes.