Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Help with RTA rules regarding full licence

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by JP, Jun 10, 2009.

1. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/renewingalicence/renewing_full.html
    I get my full motorbike licence in November, however I might take a break from motorbikes as I might not be in a financial position to own one while I'm at Uni. I don't want to have to go back to L's and P's so if I understand correctly, all I need to do to keep having my full motorbike licence is make sure I renew it every 5 years?

2. The way I am reading it, it says that if your licence expires you can get a simple renewal within 6 months of the expiry date or, alternatively, be reissued a new licence if a period of more than 6 months but less than 5 years has passed.

If you have not held the licence for >5 years (so it has expired and you have not renewed or been reissued within 5 years), you have to do L/P tests again, but I don't think you need to repeat the restriction periods, only the tests themselves. Unless you fail, in which case you start from scratch.
  3. do you have a car license? its one and the same. they get renewed together.
  4. Yep I have a car licence as well.
    Thanks for the help guys. I don't know if it's just me but I always leave the RTA site confused :LOL:
  5. Yep, I didn't own a bike or ride one on the road for 10 years, all I did was renew my licence. All is good now I'm back on the road and done 60,000Km in the last two years.

6. I kept mine going for 20 bikeless years.....
  7. Same with me, you just keep paying... (it is NSW)...

8. don t break the road rules in any vehicle car, truck or bike ;...eg; d u i, dangerous speeding,... than u will have it for the rest of ur life and remember to renew it when its due