Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Flywheels Alexandria - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by daewoo, Oct 12, 2008.

1. I need to get someone to have a look at the dodgy ignition on my KLR650.

I do oil and filter myself every 2500Km, but probably worth getting a proper service now that I have put 10,000km on the bike.

Get the chain lubed properly, maybe a tune if they do that (it seems to run rich)... don't want to pay the earth of course...

I was thinking of taking it to Flywheels at Alexandria, only because they are the Kawasaki Dealer.

I can ride there and catch a cab to the city for work, whereas if I get it serviced at Sydney City Motorcycles I have to slum it on the train.

Anyone with experiences to point me one way or the other?

2. I have dealt with Ron the proprieter but it wasn't motorcycle related.

He pays promptly and does not stuff you around.

He's also a regular columnist in Rapid Bike magazine.

I can't comment on the quality of his workshop though.
  3. Flywheels vs Syd City

Had my GPX250 at both a couple of years back...

Flywheels for roadworthy/service/minor repair - great small business, you see the same faces each time. Ron is usually there and usually available to talk to. Rob in the workshop is great, really knows his sh*t and is also great to talk to about it. The work they did for me was great, only niggles were that it took a couple of days to get a part, when the GPX was still a current model (pretty much unchanged since introduction in the late 80s) and that the cost seemed a little steep, but like I said - good work and good service, so you get what you pay for.

Sydney City (Hornsby/Cremorne one) for service and major repair - bigger operation, good facilities/workshop, service not as personal but nothing to complain about, work done was fine and price as quoted (exc service consumables/incidentals as per usual)

I guess like any decision of this nature it just depends what is important to you - Flywheels for service and personal touch, Syd City may be able to do slightly better prices, Flywheels small but close to civilisation, Syd City (horrible misnomer considering their locations) larger but a trek to get to/from.

Hope that helps.