Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Film a hoon - Go to jail

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by stringy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. "The laws provide for fines and prison sentences (for those who film hoon behaviour) at the same level as actual hoon behaviour — $3300 fines and up to nine months jail for repeat offenders."

Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=384312

That’s right, you can now be guilty of a crime you didn't commit. Way to go NSW Police Minister David Campbell, first against the wall when the revolution comes.

2. so screwed.

at least they still have to prove you did it with the intention of glamourising or encouraging hoon behaviour. any good lawyer will be able to give you a shiny new noble motive
  3. Maybe I'm just cynical but seems like that's been carefully worded so unmarked cop cars can still "bait" people into racing from a green light (though I've never worked out what part of the law makes it legal for cop cars to do burnouts and exceed the speed limit solely to arrest someone for doing the same).
  4. For me this really indicated the power shift from the old days of mass media which could be tightly controlled, to the internet and its individual freedoms. It's a sign of a government running scared when they feel that the consequence for creating films of those breaking the law should be the same as the original offence. Talk about fascism at its totalitarian best.
  5. Welcome to the dawn of thought crimes.
  6. I suggest anyone uploading videos that qualify, add to the video description "I did not film or photograph the following, claim no rights to the footage, or promote or encourage others to participate in the activity shown."

7. That is crazy! What will it be next, cops peeking in the windows to see if you are watching Fast and the Furious? :S
  8. Thats worthy of jail time for watching that crap.
  9. +1
  10. doublethink!
    we were always at war with hoons!
  11. [newspeak] Speed kills [/newspeak]
  12. Yeah, well, you guys vote in a Labor government you reap what you sow.

Back in the 80s a political commentator said this of the then ALP government:

"If it's not compulsory, then it's banned."

All they're doing is to take this philosophy to the next level.
  13. I loved the part of the vid where the "expert" says "every time you go online you've got this unique number".

This is exactly why God created proxy servers. And Torpark. And internet cafes :p
  14. Yeah because teh conservative right wouldn't do any of this sort of thing would they??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  15. This is rubbish.. I just bought a atcy2k camera for exactly this purpose!

Oh well, I'll have to make sure it doesn't go to waste...

I'll go record the harbour bridge with it until I'm arrested for terrorist surveillance :LOL:
  16. How's that beard coming along?
  17. need some help?
    i'm an expert at getting charged for bridge-based photography :)
  18. #18 Tomcatalex, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  19. Seems as though we in the Western world, are fast moving towards living in police states. More and more laws by the minute...
  20. IMHO Our civil liberty and rights are slowly becoming eroded, Id say he wont grow much of a beard anytime soon :wink: