Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW EPA drops interstate requirement for muffler labelling

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mouth, Apr 11, 2005.

1. From the Motorcycle Council of NSW...

NSW EPA (now part of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation, or DEC) will now be referred to as DEC.

Please note that DEC (EPA) have now dropped their assertion to interstate riders regarding a need to comply with the obscure and retrospective NSW labelling laws.

2. About time. We're not out of the woods yet though. Give it time and bracksy will combine the front number plate with exhaust labels. Tenders anyone?
  3. Re: NSW EPA drops interstate requirement for muffler labelli

The website doesn't mention interstate riders anywhere.
  4. Re: NSW EPA drops interstate requirement for muffler labelli

But the law still applies to the operation of a motorcycle on NSW roads, and applies irrespective of where (or whether) the motorcycle is registered.

I would place no trust in the removal of a statement that says they will enforce the law as it stands. I would feel a bit more comfortable if they said explicitly that interstate bikes are exempt.
  5. I emailed them last night with regard to the requirements for interstate travellers riding their bikes in NSW. This is the response I got tonight:

6. NSW and EPA sucks...theres more to worry about than Vance & Hines pipes.... Notice how there is only one "clean up australia day" ?

My V8 has a 3inch exhaust that would put ricers and 2 stroke trailbikes to shame yet the cops and the EPA don't care about it!?!?

The whole motorcycle exhaust labelling thing is annoying since I will have to remove my aftermarket exhaust come rego time, bolt the original on, pass, unbolt original, put on the aftermarket one, then as I cruise through the main street, I get pulled up by Mr Plod who write me a defect even with the label on it just because he can...