Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Document for motorcycle standards

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by matressking, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Hi guys,
    Have searched this and turned up nothing, may be using the wrong terms.

I'm buying parts for a project and have a number of questions about the legalities of them. For example I need to figure out if blinkers with clear lenses and amber LEDs are legal.

I've found this document at the RTA:
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi28.pdf

which covers modifications but I need to find something similar that covers all of the standards.

Anyone any ideas?

2. You need the ADRs, which are available for download on DoTaRS website.

They're a pain to wade through, though. I used to use them professionally and so have a bit of an advantage.

For normal mortals, a good rule of thumb is that components marked as having been manufactured to a recognised standard (AS, BS, SAE, JIS etc.) will be OK. Ebay Chinese cheapies with no markings will not. For lights, for example, any standard equipment from any recent bike with a Compliance Plate will be fine. Also anything aftermarket with a lense that carries a "CE" marking.

As to your specific Q re indicators, clear lens and amber globe/LED is fine in principle, but must have that CE mark in the lens to show compliance with a recognised standard.

3. Good luck! When I tried to find a specific section that dealt with headlight and brake modulators I turned up nothing. If you happen to stumble across a relevant section let me know :)