Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Contesting transit fines

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brento, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this situation:

Last Thursday my mate and I were on the train, he's an apprentice mechanic and we got ticket checked, I was fine but when my mate showed his tafe card to prove he was an apprentice the guy said it wasn't good enough.

The friendly transit then proceeded to write him a $200.00 fine. If he was to fill out the form on the State Debt Recovery Office website and attach a copy of something saying who he works for and that he's a 2nd year apprentice is there a chance he can get off this, or is there another avenue to take this?

Any advice would be good, Thanks!!
  2. From what I know a student card alone isn't enough to get a concession, you need the little foil sticker on it from state transit. I know back in my uni days you only got that sticker on your card each year if you were enrolled in enough credit points that year to qualify as a "full time" student.

Not sure if it's still the same but it's worth checking, $200 is a lot on a 2nd yr apprentice wage.
  3. This suggests he shouldn't have been fined at all, if his TAFE card identified him as an indentured apprentice...:

Fight that shite...
  4. I would agree that he was entitled but looking closer at that site I found this:

From this page: http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/concessions/workforce-trainees.html

Did he have that concession card? Either way $200 seems pretty heavy. I hope he finds a way around it. All the best.
  5. Bugger - seems like like I didn't read enough...
    Thanks Day, and good luck to the OP - let's hope reason prevails.
  6. fairly misleading then, if the first part you read says your eligable for a concession, but doesnt mention that you need to jump though a few hoops to prove your eligable.
  7. I'm so glad I don't have to take the train these days, I used to take the train to my old job every day and never paid for a train ticket and I got fined once and it was $50, I copped beause I would of probably spent $500+ on train tickets, I didn't know why people brought tickets but now a $200 fine is massive..

Other time I got fined was when I went to school to get my portfolio and on the way back the cops were at my local train station and I got asked to stand aside, I told them about how I just went to school to pickup the porfolio & then the cops made me wait 20 minutes while they were radio'ing two other people & my name. It was $50 also but my sister wrote a letter to the SDRO and I didn't have to pay the fine.