Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Congestion tax - what a joke!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jawntybull, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Well, we finally have our first congestion tax in Australia - although it's described euphemistically as time-variable tolling. When you travel across the harbour bridge, you will pay between $2.50 and $4.00 depending on the time of day - you pay more for travelling in peak hour. I see this as a cynical exercise by a failing labour government, to slug the liberal voters that predominantly use the bridge. For starters:

- if they were serious about reducing congestion they would charge motorcycles less for the toll. They don't.
    - if they are trying to reduce the number of cars going into the city, they have to offer more, cheaper public transport as an alternative. Instead they are raising train fares by up to 38%, cancelling major capital works such as the north west rail project, and cancelling the Jetcat from Manly.
    - so what makes the cars travelling from the mostly-liberal North of Sydney any worse for congestion than those travelling from the West or South? You can pay $100 a week to travel to the city from Cherrybrook, but if you travel in on the F4 or M5 you get your tolls reimbursed! Huh???? Government encouraging cars to travel into the city from one area, but discouraging cars from another? Reeks of hypocrisy to me.

By the way, I rarely travel into the city and I don't live in Cherrybrook, so this is not sour grapes - I'm just fed up with the lousy decisions of an inept government that we can't chuck out for another three years. Maybe I'll write to Kevin...
  2. This is what happens when Labour is in government!!!

I guess I look at it like this:
    Liberal = Business (smooth and precise)
    Labour = People first (rough and spontanious)

Unfortunatly the previous labour government (Morris) needed to sell off the power to pull in enough funds to cover the promises from his election... After everyone voted no on the sale he resigned because he left the state in a hugh mess..... Unfortunate, but either way you look at it, we are the lucky people to pick up the pieces while he enjoys his pension.... F**king joke!
  3. I thought the NSWMCC were optimistic about the tolls. I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that the motorcycle tolls may be reviewed.

They certainly should be - every motorcycle or scooter that replaces a car = less congestion.
  4. Misplaced Post
  5. Useless comment.
  6. We had a congestion tax. it was called dear petrol. It worked a treat, but no pollie would have the guts to say so.

So the answer is to tax those whose vote doesn't matter to you.

I agree with a congestion tax, but it should be universal.

Put a tax on petrol and subsidize fail fairs.
  7. Its not an encouragment thing.... the only reason you get a rebate on the M4 and M5 is because they were supposed to be free in the first place, but ended up being tolled!