Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] - Buying privately - Pink/Blue/etc Slips query

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by klau, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Hi, new to the forum.

In my late 30s and looking at my first bike that will take me through the pre-provisionals and MOST. As such, I'm looking to buy privately (and wisely?) on a 'cheapie bike' that will last 3-6 months. So far so good, but I'm confused about what I need from the seller if the bike is registered, unregistered, or just out of rego with regards to pink slip, blue slip or any other colour slips. Don't want to harass the seller if I, as the buyer is responsible.

What I have gathered from looking around (forum threads, REVs, RTA), I think there are 3 scenarios.
    (Apologies for not adding links, as the system won't let me due to too few forum posts)

1) Unregistered over 3 months
    - Green slip
    - Blue slip

2) Unregistered and expired within 3 months
    - Green slip
    - Pink slip

3) Registered
    - Green slip
    - Pink slip??? - REVs seems to suggest you need Pink slip
    - Rego transfer (Possible Renewal fee - and possible inspection fee. Is the inspection the same as a Blue slip?)

Please let me know if I have this correct (or otherwise).

Thanks for reading,
  2. 1) Yup, blue (inspection) and green (insurance)
    2) Yup
    3) Don't need pink slip, pink slip is only for renewing rego. Just go to rta with transfer forms, its a 3% charge of the cost of the bike, eg $5000 = $150 transfer fee.

Welcome :)
  3. I would ask the seller for a roadworthy anyway, if i was you.
    at least then you know what you are up against.
  4. You mean pink slip? Means nothing IMO, I got a pink slip a week or so ago and all that was checked was indicators, headlight and brake light.
  5. Yep, and I know just how much effort some mechanics put in to the procedure. leaves a lot to be desired.
    The key is, to note the reaction of the seller upon the request ;)
  6. Thanks for the replies, have cleared things up. cheers!

Great tip about the Seller's reaction as well. Will give that a try.

btw, great community here.