Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Blue Slip Question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by matressking, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hi guys,
    Does anyone know for sure if an instrument cluster is a must for passing a blue/pink slip?

I would have thought so seeing as you would need to know what speed you're going to stay under the limit but just thought i'd ask seeing that it would make my life a hell of a lot easier if I didn't have to mount mine until after.

Cheers!

2. From what I hear, speedo, odo etc.. If it comes with one from the factory, it must still be there and working for roadworthy unless engineered otherwise

-
    Chris

3. for a pinkslip a non working speedo is fine (argued the point with a mechanic, he checked the books and its not a check) Dunno about the legalities of a blueslip regarding the speedo, but I did pinkslips and blueslips for 10years all up (at 2 mechanics) and to be honest I never bothered checking if a speedo worked or not as it wasnt part of the checks from my understanding

A missing speedo may be another matter tho, if theres protruding bits of metal or somthing the mechanic may consider it a safety issue and fail you. Thats aside from the fact the mechanic needs to be able to read the current kms on the bike (so u should prolly fit it, I would refuse a slip on the basis i cant get any km reading anywhere)

A brake test isnt done on motorbikes for either test tho, so how would he know anyway? if it was fitted but not working? (unless you told him)

4. If it's not there you won't pass. If it's not working, they may not notice.

5. Cheers guys!

I guess I'll have to get on to trailtech sooner than anticipated about getting this Vapor thing to read my previous odo.

I thought I had all the wiring worked out too!

6. or a cheap temp wrecker odo? anything will do really it doesnt have to have the real kms the bikes done

7. You need a speedometer with odometer, and it is required to become illuminated when the headlights are on.

If you're really unlucky, you'll get nabbed on that last bit. Otherwise you've got the right idea, just put a junker one on.

Cheers - boingk

8. ive passed with a bicley computer that wasnt switched on, so i doubt anyone else would have a problem.