Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW blue slip problems - help needed!!

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by Pikey, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Hi guys,
    I have a bit of a problem I was hoping to get some guidance on.
    I have recently purchased a 1975 Honda Cb 400f,
    a classic old girl in pretty good nick but a non-factory exhaust sysetm.
    And because of this it has just failed a blue slip inspection.
    Those of you who know this bike will have a pretty good idea of why sourcing an original exhaust is near impossible. All other facets of the bike were deemed road worthy. Surely there is something that can be done to get her on the road? any clues/suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Pikey

2. Not familiar with NSW blue slip requirements, what did it fail for? Simply because it's after market, or noise or rust?

Noise & rust are fixable, it's a pretty bloody long bow to draw if they expect a bike to keep it's original exhaust, especially one that old...

If it's noise, you can make baffle out of chicken wire to cut the noise down, might do the trick.

3. I have a brand new aftermarket reverse cone with a baffle in it
    on the bike. Not good enough apparently.
    After sitting on the net researching for a while what i can gather is that the decision is based purely on the opinion of the inspector if it noisy or not, an actual decibel test is not required.
    And that if it is to pass, it can get an approval stamp from an authorised engineer with noise measuring equipment.
    Anyone know of a business who can do this?
    Cheers,
    Pikey

4. i always thought the trick with blue/pink slips is to go to a car mechanic who has no idea about bikes, correct me if im wrong

5. really? i wasn't even aware that an auto mechanic was able to do that! that sounds heaps easier!
    thanks Goz!

6. Yep,keep away from the bike shops unless you want stuff like,you need to change those nobbys for street tyres,we sell those.RTA website has a list of Blue slip authorised businesses,where in Sydney are you.

7. Going to another blue slip provider after being failed by the first one will raise a flag with RTA.