Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Appealing parking tickets

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smileedude, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Recieved a parking ticket for not paying and displaying a parking ticket at UWS campus on my bike. No signage to say motorbikes needed to pay and was parked in motorcycle parking.

Found on the website today:

Motorcycle riders who park their motorcycle on a UWS campus are required to purchase a valid UWS parking permit. Once purchased, you will need to register your permit number and motorcycle registration with the Campus Safety and Security Staff of the campus you're parking on.

Anyway thinking of appealing, what have peoples experiences been dealing with SDRO? Have you appealed for similar offences? Have you had any luck?

• Like Like x 1
  2. what appeal? if the regulations say you MUST purchase a ticket, and you didn't, what's the grounds of appeal :?
  3. No sign to say so, had to search on the website to find any information about it, seems a bit of an ask for occasional visitors to know these regulations.
  4. Was there a sign that said motorcycles didn't have to pay???
  5. No, I probably don't have much of a chance, but I was just trying to gauge if anyone has appealed for leniency in similar circumstances. The whole pay and display thing on a motorcycle is a bit hard to do and most places offer free bike parking.
    I'm guessing a lot of people on this forum have been given tickets for not paying and displaying, some have probably appealed, some may have said they purchased a ticket that was stolen, others may have said the signage was not adequate. I'm wondering what the outcome of these cases was.
  6. Pay and display IS a nightmare for bikes, and to the best of my knowledge, no-one is geared to deal with the obvious problem of the ticket not being inside a secured vehicle.

In my area, most of the parking regulations are displayed on the machines from which you have to buy tickets, not out on the street where you park.

I think you SHOULD raise the issues of pay and display with the UWS people, even if you can't get a satisfactory result for yourself in this case.....
  7. Go back, take lots of pictures showing inadequate signage show them then appeal for leniency.
  8. 8-[I do not find Parking Tickets Appealing.
    Why do motorcyclists think they are special ?
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse, be it breaking parking or speed limits etc.
    You transgressed : pay the fine. Simple.
  9. Ignorance of a law that was hidden as if it didn't exist?
  10. Ahhh but did he transgress?
    A typical non lawyers comment.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse should read, "unless the law / bylaw / regulation ITSELF requires it's existance to be advertised to apply!"

EG: (Wait for it) Parking signs!

Secondly, is the Uni a gazetted parking area?
    Did you get a "fine" or a note?
  11. Of course I'm special, thats what my mum told me.

I don't think motorcyclists are the only ones who think they are special and try to avoid paying money there is a chance they can avoid.
  12. I got a penalty notice to pay to the State Recovery office, the whole campus is a restricted parking area. So yes I should have investigated the options, asked security what to do because I can't pay and display or looked online. But I didn't and copped a fine. And yes should probably just bend over and take it. But if there is anyway of saving myself the money I'll try it.
  13. There are restricted parking signs when you enter the campuses. You could always appeal and say that you did buy a ticket left it on the bike and when you returned it was gone, if your bike has a windshield even better. Dont give them extra information. If your happy to do this then that is more likely to work than a sob story.
  14. Bugger! I'd pay it.
    You MAY have an argument re: signage, but it's 50/50.
  15. :rofl: :tantrum: :rofl:

They are hopeless and rarely alter their generic response. I've had the exact same letter response for several different issues, at different times. They dont really listen, they are there to say NO as much as possible.
  16. UoW changed their signs at the beginning of last year from "Motorcycle parking" to "Motorcycle parking with permit only". The permit was required before, but it wasn't signed.

It's a bit ridiculous to expect a motorcyclist to go to a website to determine that the signage is lacking. I'd be appealing the ticket.
  17. I have got off from the SDRO for a parking fine at UNSW but i had pics and they really did stuff up. After 3 rounds the SDRO told me "we believe the fine was issued correctly but will show lenience in this situation" :)
    however, in yr case i think u are stuffed and i would appeal if u were bored and had nothing to do but i would not be expecting anything other than a look at the signs/website and tough. :(
  18. Mr Prosser said: "You were quite entitled to make any suggestions or protests at the appropriate time you know."

"Appropriate time?" hooted Arthur. "Appropriate time? The first I knew about it was when a workman arrived at my home yesterday. I asked him if he'd come to clean the windows and he said no he'd come to demolish the house. He didn't tell me straight away of course. Oh no. First he wiped a couple of windows and charged me a fiver. Then he told me."

"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine month."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a torch."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."
  19. Sooo, you received a parking fine and ignored it until received notice of debt or whatever it's called.

"excuse me, there was no parking fine on my bike on that day or any other day."
    "We say otherwise"
    "You are wrong, besides, I bought a ticket, and placed it under the windshield (faired) / on the tank (naked)."
    "well why would you be given a fine?"
    "About 95% of the time that I buy a ticket, it has gone by the time I'm back at the bike. Perhaps the ticket blew away in the wind, or someone simply reached and stole it to use as their own. It's a big issue with bikes you know. Perhaps that is what happened to the fine as well."
    "Ticket was in my wallet so that it wouldn't blow away or get stolen. Given there was no parking fine at my bike when I got back, I disposed of the ticket. Fine could have blown off or not well secured or simply unnoticed then flew away when riding off."

Hamamamatsu, motorcyclists do not think they are special, just incredibly inconvenienced to the point of huge impracticality when it comes to paid parking. The solution to this is motorcyclists do not need to pay for parking. It encourages people to move to more efficient and less congestive transport. 5 bikes can fit in one car spot, so why should bikes pay the same as cars? It is a symptom of the problem that motorbikes are not recognised as a separate form of transport but continue to be lumped in with cars as if there was no difference.
  20. who's issued the ticket? a private firm or the actual NSW govt?