Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[nsw] 130kph lethal speed limit law

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mr Messy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. [nsw] 130kph lethal speed limit law?

Hey all,
    Not sure if this has been posted before (couldnt find anything?) but ive been told by a highway patrol officer today that there is a nice quiet new law in NSW that if you are caught doing 130+kph (even in a 110 zone) you are deemed as travelling at a *LETHAL SPEED!*.
    Tell you what F3 freeway would be empty after enforcing that on there for a week, everyone does 140.

The end result is instant loss of licence... beyond that she didnt know to tell me what the penalties were.

Ive got no references to post, only what she was telling me. A quick search and i cant see anything... maybe someone else knows more???
  2. err, what?

have a feeling that this is one of the police's imaginary laws created to scare us. That or thinking she knows more than she actually does.

I'm sticking with that line until corroborating evidence found.
  3. I'm pretty sure in VIC we have a law that says you get instant suspension if caught "more than 25km/h over the limit, or more than 20km/h over the limit in a 110km/h zone." (making 129km/h the fastest you can ever be caught without instant suspension).

Reference: T.B.C
  4. Remember something about 130kmh, but only found this....

There are licence suspension periods, similar to the minimum disqualification periods applied by a court, for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 km/h (3 months), and by more than 45 km/h (6 months).

If police catch you speeding by more than 45km/h over the limit you may have your licence immediately suspended and confiscated at the roadside for 6 months.

5. There is a certain speed however I think it's 150 and you get a 'hoon' charge as well.
    It would obviously be a license suspension because you'd be doing 45 over anyways though
  6. I'm pretty sure that no speed has yet been proven to be lethal… but why let the facts get in the way of some good overbearing nannystating?
  7. about 22,000km/h could be lethal as you'd burn on on re-entry on a motorcycle or in a car.
  8. Well, I came home from up the coast a few days ago doing 140 most of the way and I'm not dead. So I guess its BS.
  9. Close but no cigar.

25km/h over the posted limit or State Limit, which ever is lowest, will see you lose your licence on the spot in Victoria.

All the fines and points for 110 zones are actually for 100 so if your doing 126 (16 over 110) in a 110 zone you are in fact doing 26 over the state limit and kiss your licence good bye.

The above applies in Victoria only of course.....
  10. :shock: If you don't do AT LEAST 130 on the top end of the F3 you'll get run off the road by little old ladies in Corollas!

But it sounds like a bit of an urban myth.....
  11. Got a source for that? I couldn't find anything concrete (when compulsory suspension applies) in a quick scan of VicRoads and the 09 Road Safety Rules.
  12. That is correct, I know 2 people who were caught out on this, one doing 128 in a 110 zone just a few weeks ago. They thought they had a fine and 3 points coming, instead they lost their licence and got fined.
  13. For VIC

Speed of Vehicle Minimum Licence - Suspension Period

1. Exceed speed limit by 25 kilometres per hour or more, but less than 35 kilometres per hour. -1 Month
    2. Exceed speed limit by 35 kilometres per hour or more, but less than 45 kilometres per hour. -6 Months
    3. Exceed speed limit by 45 kilometres per hour or more. -12 Months
    4. Any speed of 130 kilometres per hour or more that is not covered by item 1, 2 or 3. -1 Month

I'm assuming number 4 covers 110km/h zones.
  14. Ok, wasnt sure. Thought maybe it was something introduced as of this month as things usually are.
    Will keep tabs on it though... curious to find out.
    Said highway patrol bird is a friend of mine... hasnt before on legal stuff, but might have been pulling my leg :p.
  15. Since the mexicans have hijacked the thread for a moment...

Victoria has a state limit of 100kmh, and yet there are zones posted at 110kmh? That makes perfect sense :roll:

And then... if you are caught going over the limit you are punished not on the basis of the posted limit, but some abstract conceptual limit? WTF?
  16. I post this with the proviso that I remember there being a banner on the F3 indicating on the spot license suspension for 130km/h...

but this is from the RTA website:

Immediate licence suspension

Police may immediately suspend and confiscate your licencefor the following offences:

* A serious driving offence causing death or grievous bodily harm.
    * Speeding in excess of 45 km/h over the speed limit.
    * Middle or high range prescribed concentration of alcohol or committing other serious alcohol-related offences.
    * A street racing offence.
    * An aggravated burnout offence.*
    * Speeding in excess of 30km/h over the speed limit whilst the holder of a learner or provisional licence.
    * Driving unaccompanied by a supervising driver whilst the holder of a learner licence.

Camera-detected excessive speed offences are not included in the immediate licence suspension scheme. The RTA may apply a suspension following payment :)o) of the penalty notice.
  17. Or a visit to your local courthouse.
  18. What's the difference between a normal burnout and an aggravated burnout?

Placid burnout? Relaxed burnout? Dormant burnout?
  19. As in unintentional? So why not just use the word intentional or deliberate? Wowsers.