Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSR250....too much to handle?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Owen, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Hi all, im still in the market for my first bike. Kinda have my heart set on a GPX but i just bumped into the honda nsr250. Its a 2 stroke v-twin, looks awesome, and i assume its road registerable?

Just wondering if you guys think im biting off more than i can chew by getting the NSR for a first bike...no experience.

Honesty people, honesty.

:D Thanks :D

2. lol got a mate with an RGV250 '88 the real Pepsi colours... He does not ride it... will not sell it to any one... just keeps it in his garage... Why?? He bought it to learn to ride a real bike (he is a posty as well)... and every time he ever roade it he broke some bone in his body...

I have heard that NSR250 is about as touchy and capricious as an older RGV...
  3. Even though you might be restricted to a 250, there's no real need to go out and buy the fastest one possible to begin with. You'd probably be well out of your restrictions by the time you came anywhere near to mastering an NSR250 so you'd be better off buying something a little more reliable (and safer) to learn the basics on then upgrade to something bigger.
  4. Is the NSR faster than say an aprilia rs250?

5. The RS250 is one dam fine bike... the smoooooothest power band I have ever felt on a 2stroke... the bike in power feels like a 600 and in handling like a fine tuned racing machine that it is... As for the NSR?? I have yet to test ride one but if it is any thing like an old RGV?? (and that is what my 2stroke mates compare them to) than NO it is not as fast.. or as a good handler... the new RGV is perhaps just bellow or equal with the RS250...
  6. Probably no surprise the Aprilia's the faster bike since its at least a good 15 years newer than the NSR250.
  7. Hi Owen,
    When you said no experience,
    Do you mean no experience on riding bike at all?
    If that is the case,
    I would not reccommend buying a 2 stroke 250 as a first bike,
    A good NSR or a RS Aprilia are well handling and fast bikes,
    but do require a fair amount of maintance,
    eg, Adding 2 stroke oil to the oil fill bottle, and making sure that it is kept filled, engine siezes if you don't.

The rev range characteristics don't lend themselves to being too user friendly for a learner,

There are plenty of good 4 stroke bike you could choose from as a learner bike,
    and there is the old saying,
    If you say you never dropped your first bike,
    you either,
    are lying
    or where not trying hard enough.
    Fairing for an NSR are not cheap.

From My experience I would say,
    get a 4 stroke first, get the your basic skills honed, and try a faster 250
    You can still have a lot of fun on a GPX,
    my first road bike was an 83 VT 250F,
    not big on power but was fun.

8. Cheers for the help fellas. And yes i have had NO experience. Its was just that i saw and NSR for 3K which is what price i am looking at a GPX for. Havent found a nice one in SA yet.

...will keep looking
  9. Buy the stroker and do a couple of ride days on it...

Depending on the model of the nsr they where year for year a much better bike than the rgv.
  10. Have a look around at the Yammy FZR's if your after something around the $3k mark. They've got the go of the average 4-pot-screamer 250, but their a fair chunk cheaper (minus the asshole tax like i always say).

Other than that, as a few here have already mentioned... your far better off learning to ride a slow bike quickly, than riding a quick bike slowly.
  11. Just get it and go easy till you build up your talent...

A slow bike will become boring before you can say "two fifty"
  12. It all depends on you. If you are a hoon then you are going to die, if not then you might be ok.

The NSR is a pretty focused bike, but probably one of the best routes to 'real world' sports riding being as it is a proper performance bike (unlike the 250 4-strokes). However, NOT a forgiving bike and if all you do is city riding, you'll quickly learn to hate it.
    +'s Light weight, excellent handling and with some good power. One of the fastest bikes you could ride on the Reefton, for example.
    -'s Uncomfortable, thirsty, peaky (peakier than an RS), needs lots of TLC and meticulous looking after (neglect it and it will die, quickly), definitely NOT a tourer!
  13. Have to agree with the cautious responses, mate. You will learn much easier on a "forgiving" bike, wait till you're off your restrictions and then get a bigger bike that demands more of your talents.
  14. Yeah 2-strokes sure make 'interesting' learner bikes, I almost flipped my DTR by grabbing a handful of throttle going up a steep hill on my first ride!

15. Good morning Owen,

26 years riding and racing.... Started on a street bike in the form of a 500cc MX bike that was motarded.....

So, would I go for an NSR250 as a leaner? Why not. Lets be realistic. Whether it is the NSR of the GPX, your survival rate will depend on how cautious a rider you are. You can be a total tool on a 4 stroke as you can be on a 2 stroke. As your experience grows (some people take quickly yo bikes) then you will find the 4-stroke limiting.

The biggest issue is maintenance and reliability. If you are OK with that, then just go for it. Great bike and it will bring you great pleasure.

16. Well put. The issue isn't really whether the bike is ok to learn on, it is whether you really want one or not (whether it is right for you).
  17. hi mate...

im a learner and have ridden both the rs250 and the nsr250. They are both fantastic bikes but do require concentration at all times.

you will be able to enjoy it providing you respect your limitations at all times.

my brother has the nsr250 and i must say that it is as quick and alot lighter than the ape. im not sure about the handling as i havent taken it for a serious ride.

as a learner, i can say that i have enjoyed every minute on my bike and am very pleased with my choice however, i have not tried to break any lap times as such so i havent yet been punished for my choice.... (close a couple of times though).

good luck with your decision.
  18. Mmmm, I guess it's sorta like larning to swim. Do you want to gradually learn or do you want to be thrown in at the deep end.

Both are viable, but one has potentially fatal consequences and the other one is more manageable.
  19. Hi mate,

Im a learner with an NSR250.
    Its my first bike and i've never ridden anything else so cannot compare to other bikes. I've had my L's for about 2 months. Have ridden the bike from Melbourne CBD to outer south eastern suburbs and around the place.
    I must agree that it is thirsty and drinks lots of oil as well. I keep a bottle of 2stroke oil on the bike just in case.
    But as some others have said here, its not the bike that kills, its the person. If you ride responsibly and dont try to take everything to the limit, any bike will be ok for you. If u ride like a maniac u'd get killed even on a 50cc scooter.
    Take it easy until u build up confidence. As u dont have anything to compare with i guess you wont know how hard/easy it is to ride.
    Find a good NSR and post pics to share!