Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSR 150 SP Pin Spanner and alot of smoke!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Thai NSR, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Hi There,
    I live in Thailand and I recently bought a second-hand NSR 150 SP I absolutely love the bike! but I've only just managed to download the owners manual in English and have realised that the pin spanner (and a few other bits and bobs!) is missing from the toolkit, but i have no idea what size pin spanner I need for the bike - can anyone help, as I need to adjust the chain slack ASAP! And adjustable pin spanners are just too expensive!

Also I have noticed recently that in the higher rev range (7000 - 10000) there seems to be an excessive amount of smoke coming from the exhaust, there are no other symptoms that I've noticed - in lower revs and idle there is just the usual 'blue trickle' So I assume it just means I need to get rings and piston replaced - unless someone else can shed any light on the problem? (I use Shell Advance VSX oil)

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Available from tygaperformance - you will have to send all the way to thailand for it ;-)

Well, if you have given it a good thrash at highway speed (100kmh or more) the excess oil from slow running around town should have cleared from the crankcase.

If it still smokes the news is not so good - you probably have a worn crankshaft seal. This allows oil from the gearbox to be drawn in to the engine. Keep an eye on the gearbox oil level - if it goes down it is being burnt for sure.

Trevor G
  3. Thanks Trevor - I regularly thrash the bike at 100ks ++ (once a day if can!!) but this doesn't seem to help much in fact it tends to get more smoky the quicker i go! but I'll definitely keep an eye on the gearbox oil level.