Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NRMA Inspections for Pre-Purchase ... Worth It ?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by paulmoran, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Hey All,

Im looking into getting a bike quite soon, and I was if anyone has had any experience with getting an NRMA inspection before buying inorder to make a more 'informed' purchase...

If i get a CBR250RR I would like to get it inspected ...

What are everyones thoughts ??

2. If their inspections are anything like their car inspections, I wouldn't bother.
    NRMA inspection of a diesel van:
    paint pretty
    interior pretty
    engine blows black smoke (it's a DIESEL!)..
    No mention of dodgey clutch, transmission on way out etc.

Take it to a reputable bike mechanic for an inspection.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. I really wouldn't know about the NRMA, never had a bike inspected by them, but definitely get a bike checked out before you buy. My advice would be to call a few bike mechanics where you live and ask them if they do inspections, they most probably do and are more thorough than the NRMA. The mechanic who services my bike, for example, does pre-purchase inspections for $42 ($$$ well spent).
    Cheers :)
  4. as far as im aware the nrma dont do inspections on bikes.

i do think that they are good for cars though i had them check out the car i bought, 16 years old and had no problems with it in the 2 years i have owned it so far.
  5. I didn't think they did either, but just the other day I saw their ad in some mag (can't remember which), advertising that service. It might be something they added recently.
  6. NRMA / RACV car inspections only look for obvious faults and they do not even remove wheels to check brake lines/pads etc. Only if you take the vehicle into their inspection centres and pay a lot more $$$$ do they do a proper job. So dealer and home inspections are basically crap - I have experienced this 1st hand.

As far a motorbikes go I wouldn't trust their inspection report to be worth much either. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even test ride bikes.

Take a mechanic/friend to have a look and test ride the bike instead.