Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Now it's about Haiti - the nutters are at it again...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TonyE, Jan 14, 2010.

1. US EVANGELICAL preacher Pat Robertson has blamed Haitians directly for the devastating earthquake, saying that the country "swore a pact to the devil'' at its creation.

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it,'' Robertson said on his Christian Broadcasting Network show The 700 Club.

The 80-year-old former presidential candidate said Haitians were originally "under the heel of the French".

"You know, Napoleon the third, or whatever.

"And they got together and swore a pact to the devil.

"They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story.

"And so, the devil said, 'Okay, it's a deal'.

"Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other.''

full story...
  2. The guy's a twatwaffle, however… I agree not with what he says, but I'll defend to the death his right to say it.
  3. Haha....stupid people are funny.
  4. of course, he could be right.

commentating on the state of the nation doesn't preclude extending Christian compassion to those who are suffering.
  5. Yeah but it makes us feel better that those devil worshipers deserve it, right? :wink:
  6. Ah such a just God you have their Paul. Some people made a pact with the devil 400 years ago and the 8 generations later you God decides to punish them. 10s of thousands dead, many taking hours of untold agony to die. Some will still be in great pain 24 hours later and may take days to die.
  7. Fundys say the darndest things.
  8. The american charlatan brigade is raking in cash again I see.
  9. God, religion is a scary thing....
  10. Jesus, is it?
  11. By Xenu it is.
  12. from another forum:

13. a gross and facile generalisation, you can do a lot better....
  14. Well Paul, you have said elsewhere in these forums that nothing happens without the permission or direct control of your God.

Why would he inflict such suffering on a group of people if he wasn't punishing them for some misdeed?
  15. might have got it wrong, but the way I read the article, it was having a go at the prosperity preaching 'christians' who think everything should be peachy and explain people in suffering and poverty as God's judgement on them.

As for a pact with satan? Well it may or may not have happened, but a defeated army belonging to a deeply religious country who fought against a bunch of primitives now have to explain to the king or whoever how they lost? Forgive me for being a bit cynical about it all.

I wasn't generalising, but I was quite vague and sarcastic. Thought I had made my sarcasm sufficiently obvious and you would get what I was saying :p
  16. I was not questioning that, just lilley's patently stupid statement that God is judging them' seems to be the standard "christian" reaction to suffering and poverty especially when he has in the past identified himself as being Christian.

suffering in the Bible is the consequence of man's sin, not the specific sins of specific men.

poverty is almost always the result of the sin of greed and oppression

the sadness of Haiti is that across its land border is the Dominican Republic, a prosperous and progressive nation. Decades of quasi-religious mumbo jumbo from Papa Doc made Haiti ripe for just another form of corruption and oppression when he was ousted.

And it you read up higher I posted a link to an article by a Haitian christian who convincingly dismantled what Pat Robertson said, 5 years ago.

All that said, the story of Sodom and Gommorah at least says that the God of the Bible DOES intervene in judgment when He deems it necessary.
  17. this bible basher fw i wonder if he been in a earthquake ... i have here in newcastle 20 years ago... we new poeple who lost there lives and was a terrible experience and i hope nobody goes through that again