Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Now I know what flat tyres feels like...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Sweeris, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Recently (Tuesday nite), I was riding into uni and had a strange feeling from the tyres. It felt like it wasnt gripping properly. I had a grinding sensation as well as I was cornering. When I got off the bike I had a look at the tyres and I didnt relilize it was flat. I just saw that the dirt track on the tyre are abit wide. I thought it might have a low tyre pressure but I just checked it on sunday. Then I rode home after (from bundoora to mentone). I felt the bike was very sloppy and I had no confidence at all to go in to a corner.

Then this morning, I was just checking my bike before the trip to bundoora and to my horror I found I hand absolutely zero pressure in my rear tyre. So I went to the servo around the corner and filled it up with air and found my bike was back to normal.

Now I just need to get it fixed.... Hopefully not too costly as im short on money :(

So i think its probably good advice for newer riders to check their bikes regularly.....

2. Definitely. If you ride every day, 'should' check tyres every week. I left mine for 3 weeks with every day riding and it felt terrible. Rear was down to 26 instead of 32, pumped it up and the difference is very noticeable.

3. It makes it much easier if you have an air compressor at home. I check my tyres every week (I ride everyday) and find that it's so easy to check them at home in the garage rather than having to go to the servo :grin:

4. +1

Sweeris - A plug won't cost you too much and it's even cheaper if you take the tyre off the bike yourself. :grin:

5. At the moment I dont have any tools or time on my hands (jus moved house and uni exams in 2.5 weeks)... So I might as well pay for it now then I'll get the tools later... I kinda need my bike back on ther road...

6. I actually check mine before each ride and set my pressures accordingly. If im going to just fcuk around I dont even bother.

This isnt feasible on a commuter but atleast every 2-3 days at the latest!

7. Yep - really pays to check regularly and look after the only thing between you and the road :D

8. i give mine a kick/poke before every ride.

9. And I thought I was the only one that does that...

I check everytime I fill up, which is about once a week.

10. I have one of those tyre pressure gauges under the seat so while waiting for my lil cibby to warm up in the mornings I'll just pop it in there to have a look at what the tyre pressure is.