Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Now I AM in trouble...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nil_orally, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Well, the story goes a little like this.

It was a nice sunny day on Saturday morning, with a pleasant temperature, and the bike humming like a bird.

I picked up Kristie, my 13 y.o. daughter from her mother's place in Bayswater, and we headed off towards Woori Yallock where her horse is kept.

Everything was in the groove. There was just enough space between the cars to comfortably lane filter, and they were staggered nicely to allow meandering at a nice easy bike pace up Canterbury Rd.

As we approached the roundabout behind another car, I noticed a RAV4 on the roundabout that did not seem certain in which direction it wanted to be heading. The car in front decided not to risk it and brakes; a tactic I wasn't really anticipating given the physics involved.

Sphincter tightens, front and back brakes applied, kicked down from 2nd to first, all in a surprisingly smooth action, and the brain flashes to the conscious mind "we will miss the bumper by a foot". Then I hear the dreaded sound of squealing rubber, and realise too late it is my front wheel. WTF? Then I am on the ground flat on my back, with my front wheel under the car in front. My immediate concern is for Kristie, but she has cat-like reflexes, and has leapt off and landed on her feet. She assures me I she is OK. I am winded and feeling damned foolish.

Well, long story short, the skid mark from my front tyre started on the white arrow painted on the road. Arrggh!

Damage to the bike is minimal. One dinged spotlight (didn't like the light pattern anyway), and the mounting plate for the gearchange lever is bent. The damage is like the bike fell off the sidestand - there are no scrape marks.

Who's fault was the accident? All mine. I have learned that to leave enough space for an emergency stop is not enough.

My damage. Bung knee, twisted when I tried to kick the bike back up when it started to fall (silly reflex action), banged ribs (surpisingly sore) and new respect for painkillers.

Absolutely no sign of the incident on pants, boots or jacket. Minor scratch on helmet from when I laid my head back after landing.

A HUGE thanks to the following people:
    The person I ran into, who ultimately took Kristie up to her horse in Woori Yallock (!)
    The two guys who picked my bike and pushed it onto the nature strip.
    The ambos for not believing me when I said I was fine. Hint - be nice and make jokes with these people, it stops them from cutting your jeans and boots off.
    Robert and his wife, whoever you are. This guy rode my bike back to the house for me after checking it out while I was being loaded into the ambulance. Mate, thanks a million.
    The person who rang for the ambulance.
    The staff at Maroondah, especially calipygous Jenny who shaved her initials into my chesthair to attach the probes for the machine that goes "Bing".

Oh, and why am I in trouble now? The ex-wife hates bikes......
  2. Great to here you and your daughter are mostly ok, take care of that knee, I put off having my'ne fixed and paid for it.

To me the best thing about this apart from no major injuries, is the fact that so many people were there to help you, I think its great that people that you may have never seen pitched in and helped out (all warm and fuzzy :) )

3. bad news about the bike
    great news that your daughters fine and safe .
    your big enough and ugly enough to look after yourself , but am glad to here my old sparing partners ok and able too type.

as soon as i read your post , about your daughter and as soon as I read it , you can see the way a dad thinks.

heal quickly big fella
  4. Gotta love those machines that go 'Bing"!!

Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok.
  5. A bad story with a good ending, mate, glad to hear.
  6. Glad everythings turned out alright and most of all that your daughters ok. Your a very lucky man :)
  7. what the? :shock:

just wondering how fast you were going before you hit the breaks?

glad everyone's ok, how your daughter jumped off is amazing and great! :)

and so good to hear that everybody around was soooo helpful.......makes me feel better about people!
  8. Glad to hear you're both OK. :D Sounds like bike stacks are a good way to make friends. :LOL: It does restore your faith in people when so many come to help. How lucky can you get (even if it's a kinda expensive lucky)!
  9. Mate thank god you are both ok. :)
  10. Glad everything is relatively OK

It seems having a teen pillion helps ensure sympathetic reactions from strangers after an off.

Don't fret over the ex - she already hated bikes, right? Nothing's changed.;)
  11. Glad to hear your daughter has better reflexes then her old man and was able to jump onto her feet . No major damage done to you her or the bike , just glad every is in one piece . :D
  12. Let this be a warning.....you shouldn't say hello to me a coffee...you are just tempting fate. :D