Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Nov 5, 2015] Ride to the Snowy Ride (Croydon)

Discussion in 'VIC' started by GreyBM, Sep 16, 2015.

Ride to the Snowy Ride
Start Date: Nov 5, 2015 09:00
End Date: Nov 5, 2015 11:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +11:00 AEDT

McDonald's Croydon
101 Maroondah Hwy
Croydon 3136

Posted By: GreyBM

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Each year a small band head up to Jindabyne to participate in the Snowy Ride, but more importantly to get away for six days of riding some of the greatest roads in Australia.

This year for a variety of personal reasons, most of the regulars have had to drop out and before we cancel the excess accommodation, we are throwing the ride open to newcomers.

This year the planned route is:

Thurs 5 Nov - Melbourne to Beechworth via Eildon-Jamieson Rd and Mansfield-Whitfield Rd.
    Fri 6 Nov - Beechworth to Jindabyne via Granya Gap and the Alpine Way
    Sat 7 Nov - Snowy Ride. Join a couple of thousand other riders riding around the snow fields region
    Sun 8 Nov - Free day. Usually spent doing a lap of Kosciuszko National Park.
    Mon 9 Nov - Jindabyne to Omeo via Alpine Way and Mitta Mitta.
    Tue 10 Nov - Omeo to Melbourne via Bainsdale

Daily distances are not huge, usually 300 -400 km but the roads are technical, so this is not a trip for novice riders.

Accommodation costs will depend on exact final numbers but should be around $50 a night.

At this stage, we can take two and possibly three people to fill the rooms we have booked (we will know which by the end of the week). If there is a high level of interest, we may be able to get extra accommodation along the way and take extras.

The catch is that we will need a firm commitment and payment for accommodation in a very short time, possibly by next week.

If you are interested put your name down below.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. For those who don't know, the Snowy Ride is a one day charity ride benefiting the Steven Walter Foundation, combatting children's' cancer. It's basically a self navigated ride (maps provided) through the NSW high country, stopping at checkpoints and getting your card stamped. The card becomes your entry into the raffle (the prize is a motorcycle). You can follow the map, or just ride the great roads. It finishes up at Threadbo, and there are usually thousands of bikes participating, but pretty much "doing their own thing" so it's not a procession (unless you join the group ride at the end - we normally don't).

The charity ride is only one day, but we take the opportunity to turn it into a 6 day trip - because we can! Traditionally, it's been held to take in the Cup Day holiday, but, unfortunately, not the case this year.

You'll need to register for the ride - note the closing date people - by visiting this site and paying.
    Paying the fee gives you an extra entry in the raffle, plus gets you entry into the national park, which would normally cost you a daily fee. This where the charity does its fundraising, so please pay up, it's a worthy cause!

Any questions, ask them here, and we'll do our best to answer them.
  3. I would love to join you, just a difficult time for work commitments...maybe next year
  4. I go every year but we cram it in to 3 days Fri, Sat and home Sunday.

This is our usual preferred path Whereis

Love the Bonang.

Might see you up there
    • Like Like x 1
  5. #6 GreyBM, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Time moves along. Any takers before we need to finalise accommodation and cancel rooms.

Last call.
  6. Would love too but it would mean cancelling a wedding :blackeye:
  7. OK, I think we've given people enough time to express any interest, and we haven't had any takers. I'll be reducing the accommodation booking later today (assuming I have time). People are still welcome to come, but they'll have to find their own accommodation.

Any NSWers or Victorians who would like to take up some of the Jindabyne accommodation on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday nights, let us know here and we can put you onto the lodge. I didn't book that accommodation (GreyBMGreyBM did) and he won't be doing anything about that today, so you still have time to get that if you want.
  8. Yep Time is up. Offer is closed