Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nothing to report

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Am I the only one who basically never has near misses these days?

(Probably jinxing myself by making this post)

It's partly that the commute is pretty short these days, but I think it's just roadcraft and experience and defensive riding.

I don't mess about - I split both stationary and slow-moving traffic, launch reasonably hard off the line, definitely don't ride like a granny.

But I also watch, defend my space, make room, assume people will do the worst, have a pretty good guess when someone is going to drive badly, am extra cautious once someone has made one mistake in front of me, and so on.

And it'll be months between anything that even remotely corresponds to an incident, and even then it'll be a swearword in the helmet and a dab on the brakes, and barely an extra heartbeat.

I don't think I'm special: speak up if this is your experience too.

• Like Like x 10
  2. me too. I had an amusing 'incident' this morning: filtered past a car which was drifting into the next lane, and the driver woke up with a fright and gave me a dirty look. Thats about as extreme as it gets these days.

3. me too, but I don't ride as much as some others do, and rarely in peak hour. The last near miss was some lunatic trying to intentionally run me over so I'm not sure if that counts.

4. Maybe it's also a case of what you define as a near miss changes as your experience increases.

Car drivers still do the same shit, it's just that as you gain more experience you are more prepared for it and it doesn't surprise you as much.

Look at the 'near miss stories' put up by newbies. How many of them would you now consider 'par for the course', nothing special, nothing to write home about, 'happens every day'.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Mick has hit it on the head I reckon.

6. Yup. Pretty much my own experience. I can't remember the last time I had a close enough call to bother doing more than saying "Fckwit!" and getting on with my ride.

7. As a still-a-relative-newbie (been riding for seven months), I'm not sure it's quite that simple. My first few weeks of riding were probably 70% concentration on riding (the actual physical acts of controlling the throttle, clutch, brakes, steering, etc), 20% concentration on where the hell I'm going on unfamiliar big city with bloody ridiculous shrunken-down trains sharing the middle of the road with me, 10% concentration on what other road users were doing. Now on familiar roads it's probably more like 10% concentration on riding, 90% concentration on being aware of all of the cars around me and what stupid tricks they're likely to pull next.

So yes, cars do the same old shit, but as you start to get some experience riding, you also learn to not put yourself in situations where you're vulnerable to other drivers' inattention, and be prepared enough for erratic behaviour that you can act on it well before it becomes a close call.

I haven't had any seriously close calls in a little while - last one was about a month ago, a car door opening in front of me while I was filtering - but still feel like I'm regularly observing new forms of dimwitted driving and learning to protect myself against them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think I said that when I said

• Like Like x 2
  9. I'm sure it's been said many times before but most of the videos in the near miss thread are due to lack of road craft and anticipating everything in their surroundings. People riding along, maintaining speed into an ever closing gap further up the road then blaming the person in the car when they almost run into them. As I always say, to ride in city traffic requires a 6th sense and a lots of anticipation. You almost have to know what that bloke in the cars going to do before he does.....

• Like Like x 3
  10. So you did! One day I will learn to read.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I would also add that general road experience helps. I have only had a couple of smidsys, when I first started riding, and they were because I misjudged cars ability to see me, when I would have see a bike. The only close call I have had in ages was a deliberate attempt to run me into an armco on the side of my lane. I wasn't in any real danger, but I was sure pissed about it.

12. Good thread, bang on the money. The few times where I haven't been seen in recent times I had predicted it well in advance and could avoid it by simply rolling off the throttle. So minor I'm struggling to remember them. I would rather ride for a year without a helmet than go through the newbness of my L plates again.

13. Day to day shite still happens out on the road - but we are now more insulated to the affect......we have been conditioned....

It is very rare - and under farrrrrking butt-clenching circumstances - when I still get that instant shot of adrenaline......that immediate bolt which cannot be ignored.....

If this happens these days I know something is faaarrrked up.............years ago I'd get the same surge of anxiety, anticipation and adrenaline if someone cut me off, pulled out from a side street or performed some other innocuous and inconsiderate manoeuvre.....now it's just meh......

14. The last time I got the hair standing up on the neck and the adrenaline rushing was when turning right from a single lane road that has many road trains on it. There was nothing behind me, and nothing in front, but the senses were telling me it was wrong, wrong, wrong. Turned out I was hearing the diesel engine of a train on a line which runs beside the road but is hidden by a large sound deadening wall.

15. What's sad is that we take this for granted after a while. If the average car driver had the same number of near misses that experienced riders take for granted then there'd be an enormous outcry.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I suspect we also get to know our own bit of turf and how most other drivers in the area behave, making for fairly familiar ground at which point our sixth sense works better. Familiarity with the idiosyncracies of certain intersections and sections of road as well as some of the fairly direct resultant behaviour of others on the road too.

In different towns or cities, and maybe even suburbs (or groups of suburbs), there often seems to be different mindsets and quirks that are kind of like local dialects.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Indeed.......

18. I reckon they do, just half the time they are oblivious to it.

19. This rings very true....

How many of you - on the commute - know that if you hang out in this lane coming up to that intersection you are more likely to have a clearer path?.........Or if you take that side street first then drop back into traffic on the other side of the corner you will be ahead of all the right hand turners banked up causing issues......

Wayned is right on the money - we get to know our routine, our turf and our direct and indirect paths through the traffic...........this is a comfort.....but DO NOT LET IT BECOME COMFORTING.....

If you get complacent and disengage - game over............ride with a purpose......ESPECIALLY during the mundane commute you've done a million times.

• Like Like x 4
  20. I usually go months without incident then I'll get a few bad days or one day with a few near misses of some sort.

I've probably got a few weeks to go before my next SMIDSY. Maybe it's because I'm a contractor and can be working at one place for a month and then I'll be somewhere else the next month so my routes change often meaning I'm dealing with different and unfamiliar routes all the time.