Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Notebook or Desktop for Uni?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JP, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Notebook

2. Desktop

0 vote(s)
  1. So I'm off to Uni next year doing nursing, after having taken a year off study to just relax and save a bit of money. I figured I may aswell buy a new computer however not sure what will suit me best for Uni life? Notebook or Desktop? I like the idea of having a notebook, however if I don't need the portability a desktop gives better value for money.
    So anyone with Uni life experience, let me know what you think.
    Also does anyone have, or know someone who owns a current generation Macbook(the Intel ones) and have any thoughts on them? I owned a G5 iMac and was very happy with it, but haven't had any experience with Apple notebooks.

2. It's very easy to damage a laptop, and doubly easy to have it stolen .... and when it is it IS untraceable....
  3. Biased here but I own a current generation macbook and it RAWKS.
    The beauty of it is that you can partition off a section under bootcamp and boot up under windows and enjoy all the windows features, or use Parallels or Fusion to run under emulated mode.
    For Uni you NEED a laptop.
    Macbook pro maybe overkill tho so stick with macbook for the price and you can still add 4 gig of ram. for $100.00

Being at uni you get the advantage of being able to login to their connection with the correct permissions wirelessly so there's the always on feature you can't get when your box is at home

Paul has a point about them being stolen but it's no different to a mobile LOOK OUT FOR IT and insure it if you are paranoid, also have a backup disk at home and run time machine occasionally to keep everything backed up.
    Good uck with whatever choice you make.
  4. If you really don't need portability there isn't much point in considering a laptop, is there?

However as a student you'll probably find a bit of portability would in fact come in handy and as long as you get a model with video output, it can provide you with both: take it with you when you need to, plug in an external monitor when using it at home.
  5. I say desktop first, then if you need a notebook you can get 1 later. Beside if you're bored with your Uni assignments you can quickly switch on some games & have a rest (all the latest titles need high-end rig desktop to run). If you want a backup notebook, I recommend you to check & maybe buy this one...
    "Asus-EeePC" (really small, cheap, but reliable)
  6. Unless you live in a lecture theatre, you really do need portability. Get a laptop, or you'll have to listen in lectures instead of playing flash games, and that would be a great shame.

Alternatively, get a desktop then just buy a little eeepc or equivalent for $300 or so - this is what I do. Having a tiny little computer that's easy to carry and to use anywhere (you can just balance it on your knee) is perfect for uni, and does all the note-taking and assignment-writing and flash gaming that you want.
  7. If you really feel you need a laptop to take it everywhere, get one.

Otherwise, they're a pain. Smaller screen, smaller keyboard, more expensive, easier to break and lose, they need to be treated with kid gloves.
  8. After using PCs for years, i've moved to the notebook camp.

I use it for work so its a tax deduction, and for study on the 1hr each way train commutes. I use it at home even though I also have a much more powerful PC.

I chose a subnotebook for excellent portability and haven't shed any tears that its not gonna play the latest games. I think an EeePC1000 is a little too small for me, but it'd do ok for school/Uni.

I wish I had a notebook when I was doing full time study as it'd be great for note taking and group work at tutorials.
  9. +1 for laptops

very useful for uni
  10. i had laptop's always thur uni until in the last semester mine died (maybe something to do with a 10kV spark i created next to the HDD as a bored experiment). At this point i had a major major project getting due (end of final semester) and straight away needed to switch to my server (desktop running a heap of programs), the project i was doing needed a computer.

I loved having the lappy, was easy to take places, read forums in bed watch movies on the couch whatever. Uni related we had shit labs, shit computers so i took mine to do my work / study / experiments.

in saying that i'm outta uni now and never bothered getting another lappy though i do miss some of the benefits. still on desktop now.

My housemate however was doing the exactly same course a year below me, and required a computer for uni just as much. he got by using remote desktop all the time (we had a good internet connection) and did all his work when at uni using remote desktop and he got by fine.

so if your uni labs (and as your starting i'm guessing you won't know) have semi decent machines and your home internet connection is moderate, you can get by with a desktop if you need to do computer work at uni.

if you dont need to do computer work at uni and don't spend to much time on the computer, i say get a desktop. if you spend a little time on the computer now and think you may be using the thing at uni get a lappy.

hope that helps kinda...
  11. Couple of my friends have recently gotten Eee's and they're cool little things. I just bum typed notes off them if I'm desperate.

May end up getting a laptop in the future but last year and this year I've not had one and it hasn't negatively affected me, even with abysmal study habits. If you think it will help you, then by all means, but don't think you need one to be successful @ uni. Majority of people in my lectures use good ol' pen and paper.
  12. Ehehe, BS. I'm a digital media student and you can't get much more computer related than that.. apart from computer science which I was also doing before.. If you're doing computer science or similar, for sure you really should have a laptop.

Otherwise you dont need one. 90% of people I see who have them in lectures, are just youtubing, msning, browsing the net, etc. so its often more of a distraction than anything else.
  13. Get a desktop and then buy an Asus eeepc.

I NEED one *nods*

Wife, hear that??? NEED one *nods*
  14. Thanks for the replies everyone :) After some talking to friends that go to uni, it seems like a laptop is probably not really needed, and infact would probably end up being a distraction in classes. So looks like an iMac for now :grin:
  15. I disagree, for the short while I did CS I just uploaded my files to the server at Uni. A laptop just made you a mugging target.

Laptops are convinient, but I'm not really a fan (even though I own one). The longevity of most laptops I've seen makes them a poor investment unless you REALLY need to be mobile.
  16. longevity...

I own a Dell Inspiron 8200, 8years old-ish. Still works fine,alhough needs a new bearing in the fan. It's been dropped, stepped on, rained on, been hauled through Pompeii on a 40^c+ Day, ran for 189 consecutive days with out a reboot! etc. its tough. I also own an 8600(Appx 3 years old) Dropped(Cracked case in the corner a bit), it runs well. I may of been lucky though!

I would recommend a Laptop, but a light one! It's convenient. If your buying to game as well, buy a desktop and an EEPC
  17. I'd suggest an "old" 12" subnotebook like the IBM Thinkpad X40, X60.

They're not machines you can play (modern) games on, but they're insanely portable despite having a full-size keyboard. Desktops are for gaming, notebooks are for portability!

That said, I really only found the need for a laptop at university in 2003, my final year of university, when we were working on Formula SAE 24/7. I'm sure things at university have changed in the last 5 years though. ;)
  18. I *had* a dell inspiron 4xxx. It got ported carefully to and from sites, despite being a $2500 machine it died after 14months. A friend at the time had his $4000 dell die after roughly the same period. This and the cost of replacing the motherboard (the failed component in both cases) is why I will never buy dell again.
  19. Wasn't that the year UOW won?
  20. UoW wins every year! :LOL:

Actually I believe the FSAE-Australasia winners that year were Georgia Tech uni from USA, who flew over here to punish UoW for stealing the USA trophy in 2002.

I was in the first University of Newcastle team.