Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

not that bright

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by EffZedArgh, Aug 11, 2005.

1. apparently no one on the road works crews of hobart ride bikes.
    this morning the Southern Outlet, one of the major hiways down here was closed due to ice and snow. the just reported on the radio that the outlet was no re-opened, because they had removed the snow, and any ice that they found had been covered - with gravel.
    see, i have to ride this road everyday to get to work. ice on road is not good for bikes. gravel on road is not good for bikes. theres no way i am riding down a hiway with gravel on top of ice!

2. So what would you like the road crews to have done?

Gravel doesn't have to be scary... Ice does.
  3. Isn't the normal thing in the more wintery countries to Salt the road? Poor salt on the ice. Which helps melt the ice.

Shrug, nothing I have personal experience in, so I'm totally guessing.
  4. now that a heap of cars have gone along the road, there is a heap of gravel spread all over the road, and around the bends.
    they usually to use some kinda of sand on the ice. it was good stuff, cos when the cars spread it around, the wind would blow it off the road. makes you wonder why they dont keep using it.
    and if it was that bad that it was still half ice like they said it was, they coulda kept it closed for a bit longer.
  5. Salting the road to melt the ice is standard procedure in all European countries. That's why you shouldn't buy a car or bike there that's any more than about 5 years old cos it'll be rusted to blazes.

I can't fathom the idea of putting gravel on it, that's bizzare!
  6. I'd stay home!!!